PDA

View Full Version : I love this bet

10-29-2001, 03:40 AM
Take Blazers over 49 wins this year. Even with the implosion late last year they still won 50 games. They improved by getting a new coach and removing that disappointment called Sabonis, a guy they would count on and then get let down by him way too often. Going without a decent center obviously makes them questionable for a title run, but getting 50 wins in the regular season should be a cinch as they still have probably the 4th or 5th most talented team provided they stay healthy and play as a team. I think they will finish 3rd in the Pacific at 55-27 and lose in the second round of the playoffs to the Lakers or Kings. However, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the "surprise" team of the league and re-discovers the magic they had two years ago when no one acted like they cared there weren't two or three balls on the court. No doubt about it, this is a dangerous team because they can go strong 8 or 9 deep and if they can swing a deal like the Sixers did last year in getting Mutombo, they could go a lot farther than anyone is anticipating.

10-29-2001, 08:33 AM
sabonis was a designated rally killer...gl

10-29-2001, 08:38 AM
if you are slumming...could you give us an opinion on total wins for tblazers??? tia

10-29-2001, 10:16 AM
at Intertops

10-29-2001, 11:31 AM
Have to disagree with the Sabonis bashing. He was past his prime, but he was a pro who came to play every night, something a lot of guys on this team didnt do, especially at the end of the year. Sabonis was also not afraid to speak his mind and tell it like it is regarding some of the dogs on that team.--Big Al--

10-29-2001, 11:58 AM
What is his coaching resume?

10-29-2001, 04:26 PM
He was like ten years past his peak when he entered the NBA. 7'2" with muscle and a great touch. Even last year, he was the only guy on that team who seemed to be trying at times.

JG

10-30-2001, 12:25 AM
Nothing which in this case I think is a good thing. The team has plenty of talent and its all veterans who aren't exactly in need of teaching. I think a player that was well known for being a leader is exactly what this team needs. Dunleavy didn't have command, I think Cheeks will have the command of his players. The NBA has seen a lot of these first time coaches recently and they have done fairly well. Can't argue with what Larry Bird got out of the Pacers, Danny Ainge and Scott Skiles have done fine with a Suns team that could have easily slid into .500 seasons. The NBA is a pure talent league, coaching is more about taking the right attitude with your team and understanding how to soothe egos. Its a one on one league and you have 5 guys that often think they should be that "one". I think Cheeks will do just fine in that role. In any event, at the end of last year it was clear just about anyone would have done better than Dunleavy. Dunleavy is a decent coach, he just got put into an impossible situation.

10-30-2001, 01:34 AM
like you, i don't think its that big of a difference whether he had coached or not. but he'd better have a good strategist next to him on the bench, like what Bird had. what has he been doing in the last 5 years...was he involved in basketball?

10-30-2001, 04:42 AM
He was Sixers assistant coach for the last seven years.

10-30-2001, 04:54 AM
No real opinion. Your logic is sound, but this teams' spirit is done. They should have won it all in 00. Let it slip away, and things have eroded since. Also, Basic Strategy is to fade high season win total teams;

I think a better bet is to take the Lakers under 60+ wins. If you are bullish on Portland that will hurt LAL, and when is it ever a bad bet to fade a two time champ? Fyi, I have Port +10 tomorrow night vs. a square shop.

10-30-2001, 08:52 AM
thanks for your input...i enjoy reading the bleacher part and am going to squeeze the trigger and get in on the real forum(s)...gl