PDA

View Full Version : Making a move on someone in Small stakes NL

KowCiller
01-13-2005, 07:19 PM
This is a fairly newbie question (I'm a big n00b when it comes to NL, used to mid-stakes limit) but I've been trying to play more small stakes NL. There aren't many good NL players (as far as I can tell) at the local B&M where I play. However, I've noticed that aggressive players usually have the biggest stacks in my game.

A typical game will have 6-7 loose passives (lots of limping, a pot sized raise usually thins the field to 1 or 2 callers), 1-2 aggressive players (some tight, some loose), and me. To be brutally honest, I probably play weak-tight in NL now...trying to get better.

Against these loose-passives, is aggressive style the best? Should I loosen up against these people? I noticed one guy last night would almost always throw a pot sized raise when a scare card would hit, and he would usually take it down. As the night wore on, people started turning into calling stations and picked him off.

I guess I'm just looking for some general thoughts on the best way to approach these types of games.

Thanks,
KoW

amoeba
01-13-2005, 07:36 PM
against loose passive, I think best way is tight aggressive.

against tight passive, I think best way is smart loose aggressive, but this style is hard to pull off.

and of course make sure the stacksize works for the style you are trying and make sure to switch it up when people start catching on. Change gears.

BTW, who is that in your icon?

soko
01-13-2005, 07:42 PM
loose agressive doesnt work unless you have good reads.

amoeba
01-13-2005, 07:43 PM
well of course, hence why its hard.

soah
01-13-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, I've noticed that aggressive players usually have the biggest stacks in my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's important to note that aggressive play is also high-variance play. What they have on the table doesn't reflect how many times they have rebought. Naturally the players that will frequently push on draws and bluffs will not spend very long at an "average" stack size. The aggressive players that catch a good run of cards will have a big stack, but how long does it take you to forget the guy that came in and left 10 minutes later after blowing his whole stack?

KowCiller
01-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the reply.

In general, how does your run of the mill Small Stakes NL player compare to the Small Stakes limit player? Certainly in a small stakes limit game, it's hard to push anyone off a hand, as people only consider their two hole cards. Is it a fair assumption that the same is true in Small Stakes NL? Or is betting/raising a scare card a viable strategy against many loose passive SSNL players?

Oh, and that's Lindsey Lohan in her new music video. MeeeOOOW! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

KowCiller
01-14-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The aggressive players that catch a good run of cards will have a big stack, but how long does it take you to forget the guy that came in and left 10 minutes later after blowing his whole stack?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are certainly correct about this, and I need to take that into consideration more.

I'm afraid my game is currently weak-tight. I need some help stepping up the aggression level I believe. I think I'm a pretty easy player to profile. Pot sized bet generally means top pair or better. Occasionally throw in a pot sized raise against 1 player with a good draw (straight + flush). Mixing up check/raising and betting out (hoping to reraise) a set against an aggressive player, etc.

I believe I'm getting pushed off some of my made hands like top pair or a weak two-pair when I get a big raise back to me. Do you have any suggestions for stepping up aggressive play? Are there spots where I should be routinely taking stabs at pots?

One thing I struggle with is a situation where I'm in late position, and lets say I limp with something like KQo after 4 limpers (should I be raising here?). The SB completes and BB checks. The flop comes rags and it's checked around to me. I generally feel like everyone's hand is weak, but can I really put in a pot-sized bet into a field of 6 people? I generally don't. Is this wrong?

What are some good spots to step up aggression levels? Preflop? Checked around flop? Scary turn card?

Thanks,
KoW

soah
01-14-2005, 11:25 AM
There aren't really any simple answers to your questions... you have to make your decisions based upon how the table is playing. In general, I start with the assumption that my opponents will call me down too much and will stick with that unless/until I determine otherwise. With shallow stacks it's probably futile to try moving most players off of any decent pair.

AncientPC
01-14-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In general, how does your run of the mill Small Stakes NL player compare to the Small Stakes limit player? Certainly in a small stakes limit game, it's hard to push anyone off a hand, as people only consider their two hole cards. Is it a fair assumption that the same is true in Small Stakes NL? Or is betting/raising a scare card a viable strategy against many loose passive SSNL players?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they won't be pushed off so just value bet all the way to showdown. You can probably use the move of honor and still get called too.

KowCiller
01-14-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, they won't be pushed off so just value bet all the way to showdown. You can probably use the move of honor and still get called too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive my ignorance..."move of honor"? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

KoW

amoeba
01-14-2005, 05:47 PM
push all in preflop with AA/KK.

theredpill
01-14-2005, 09:00 PM
I like Lindsay Lohan's video too. The "Rumors" video.