PDA

View Full Version : Stud strategy Question.

Daliman
01-13-2005, 06:00 PM
I am primarily a Holdem player, and mostly Sit and Go's at that, but I am wondering if a certain hand I played is played right by me. I did think each street through, and I feel like i played it well, but stud is such a different game that I am wondering if some of my methodology is flawed. I will walk you through my thinking each street, and please tell me if I am wacked. Here is the hand;

***** Hand History for Game 1431344154 *****
$10/$20 7 Card Stud - Thursday, January 13, 16:17:54 EDT 2005
Table Table 11136 (Real Money)
Seat 0 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 5: DarkStargasm ( $460 )
Seat 4: Mahaleb ( $200.5 )
Seat 1: sacagawea ( $447 )
Seat 8: curlieM ( $463 )
Seat 7: MJ6times ( $84 )
Seat 3: jmbianc ( $310 )
Seat 2: Any8811 ( $226 )
Seat 6: rphmgj04 ( $499 )
sacagawea posts ante [$1].
Any8811 posts ante [$1].
jmbianc posts ante [$1].
Mahaleb posts ante [$1].
DarkStargasm posts ante [$1].
MJ6times posts ante [$1].
curlieM posts ante [$1].
** Dealing **
Dealt to DarkStargasm [ 3d Qc 3c ]
DarkStargasm opens.
>You have options at Turquoise Table!.
DarkStargasm bring-ins [$3].
MJ6times folds.
curlieM folds.
sacagawea completes [$10].
Any8811 folds.
jmbianc folds.
Mahaleb folds.
DarkStargasm calls [$7].
** Dealing Fourth street **
Dealt to DarkStargasm [ Jh ]
DarkStargasm opens.
DarkStargasm checks.
sacagawea bets [$10].
DarkStargasm calls [$10].
** Dealing Fifth street **
Dealt to DarkStargasm [ As ]
sacagawea opens.
sacagawea bets [$20].
DarkStargasm calls [$20].
** Dealing Sixth street **
Dealt to DarkStargasm [ Qd ]
sacagawea opens.
sacagawea bets [$20].
DarkStargasm calls [$20].
** Dealing River **
Dealt to DarkStargasm [ Js ]
sacagawea opens.
sacagawea checks.
DarkStargasm bets [$20].
sacagawea calls [$20].
DarkStargasm shows [ 3d, Qc, 3c, Jh, As, Qd, Js ] two pairs, queens and jacks.
sacagawea doesn't show [ 8s, Ts, Tc, 5d, 5s, Kc, 8h ] two pairs, tens and eights.
DarkStargasm wins $164 from the main pot with

Ok, 3rd st, there is $21 in the pot when I call $7 to the T doorcard raise. I have [ 3d Qc 3c ], 2 to a flush. of which only 1 club was out, and Queens and 3's are live. I can take a card off here and dump if I don't like the next card. I put him solidly on tens, btw.

4th St
Me: 3d Qc 3c Jh
Him: Xx Xx Tc 5d

I check/call this bet, since I now have 2 overcards to his likely tens, and no Jacks are out either. A bit looser than I like to be, but 4-1 on my call here seems ok, if a bit loose.
5th St
Me: 3d, Qc, 3c, Jh, As
Him: Xx, Xx, Tc, 5d, 5s

I Ain't thrilled about him pairing the board, but as far as I am concerned, it is very unlikely this hand has really changed for him; I'm still behind, I still know (mostly) what I need, and if i hit one of my now-11 outs, I still think i win 90% of the time(i think there was a dead ten out, don't remember now tho. Fairly easy call as far as I am concerned.

6th st:
Me:3d, Qc, 3c, Jh, As, Qd,
Him Xx, Xx, Tc, 5d, 5s, Kc,

Ok, I hit, but while the overcard to my highest pair doesn't thrill me, I'm not overly concerned by it. I'll make the prudent call, just in case I am behind, and also not to alert him if he is capable of folding 2 pair,(likely not).

River helps neither, but he checks first to act, opening the door for a relatively safe bet for me, which i walk through, he calls, as i knew he would, and I take down a decent pot.

Thoughts?

Spladle Master
01-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Nice hand.

Daliman
01-13-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ty. I guess that means you like the way i played it.

Andy B
01-13-2005, 11:23 PM
Hand histories are hard to read. Please present future hands in the form of a narrative. It would be really nice to know what showed on third street.

Assuming your cards are live, calling third street is OK, but folding is probably better. You're probably up against split Tens, and you have an over-card to that pair, which is good. On the other hand, this is a relatively low-ante game, which should make you less inclined to call. I think that your opponent is more likely to have a big pair at this level than he might in a bigger game, which should makeyou less inclined to call. Part of the reason to play a small pair heads-up against a probable big pair is that there is a chance that the other guy is raising with a three-flush or three-straight, in which case you're winning. So I think this is a fold, but calling isn't too far wrong.

Beyond that, I'm never quite comfortable calling when I'm beaten on board, but with those big side cards, you have a lot of outs against Tens-up, so I think you should continue as long as your cards are live. I might raise on sixth, but when opponent continues to bet into your moderately scary board, I think calling is OK too. I bet the river as well.

Daliman
01-14-2005, 01:30 AM
TYVM Andy. Exactly what I was looking for. I thought i had adequately narrated it through in the second half of the post, and the hand converters dont seem to work for stud.
Yeah, 3rd st seemed a touch dicey, as is 4th, but i kinda knew i was good from there on out.
I should look you up next time I get up to MN to visit family.

patrick dicaprio
01-14-2005, 09:38 PM
the problem here is that the ante and bring in are low, so the third street play is debatable. i call here every time though, and i am not afraid to checkraise fourth street vs a weak player if i can get a free card.

by the way as long as the boards dont look too scary i am in the whole way here until the river. on fifth street i am not thrilled either but i am not that upset either. if you hit your hand he will call for sure on teh river and if you miss now you can safely fold so it isnt too bad.

Pat

Spladle Master
01-18-2005, 06:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nice hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ty. I guess that means you like the way i played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.