PDA

View Full Version : Non-English languages at the table

Ruhr
01-13-2005, 05:07 PM
In another thread, someone was giving table etiquette suggestions to a first-time B&Mer. One of those suggestions was "Speak English at the table."

This got me thinking back to my trip to Vegas last month. I was playing 2/4 at Bally's, and this guy kept speaking Russian to his female friend across the table. At the time, nobody said anything and the dealer did not intervene, but I remember thinking "what if this guy is announcing his hand to his friend, right under our noses?"

What are your people's thoughts on this? Should something have been said? If I'm in this situation again, should I say something? Will I look like an [censored] for requesting "speak in English, please!".

Thanks in advance.

swede123
01-13-2005, 05:13 PM
English only at the tables is a pretty standard rule here in the U.S. Shame on the dealer for not setting these clowns straight. Next time set the clowns straight right away.

Cheers,

Swede

chief444
01-13-2005, 05:14 PM
I've never played in a cardroom that didn't have English only as a rule. I doubt if Ballys is an exception but I've never made my way to their room.

Ruhr
01-13-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
English only at the tables is a pretty standard rule here in the U.S. Shame on the dealer for not setting these clowns straight. Next time set the clowns straight right away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. I'm not exactly a newbie, but I guess this situation has never come up until now. Thanks for your input and this reality check. I'll definitely speak up next time.

detroitplayer
01-13-2005, 05:49 PM
Tell 'em to stop speaking f*cking sputnik!

koko2315
01-13-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tell 'em to stop speaking f*cking sputnik!

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave em be. They're probably just talkin about snow and pierogies.

coffeecrazy1
01-13-2005, 05:55 PM
But, all the same...if they want to see that seventh card...

Seriously, though...I agree that it is a rule in pretty much every cardroom in the U.S. Furthermore, although I'm typically I'm non-confrontational at a poker table, I have no hesitation whatsoever about speaking to this effect if there are non-English speakers at the table.

You may get some backtalk from the people you say this to, about how they aren't talking about anything poker-related, which is probably true, but we have no way of knowing, and it doesn't matter what you are talking about...you shouldn't do it.

teamdonkey
04-10-2005, 04:40 PM
pokerstars has a rule about this on their site, however i can't seem to find one on Party Poker.... anyone know if this is their policy also?

RustedCorpse
04-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Usally it's English only WHILE either player has cards.

FrontonPoker
04-13-2005, 02:09 PM
at the miami jai alai fronton, if you hear english spoken, thats a rarity.. its usually spanish all the time, but everyone at the tables speaks spanish.. on a few occasions there has been someone who doesnt speak it, and if he brings it up, its english only while the cards are in play, but its been a while since i saw it enforced, then again, no one has made the point about it either..

belloc
04-13-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pokerstars has a rule about this on their site, however i can't seem to find one on Party Poker.... anyone know if this is their policy also?

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't find one either, so after one incident I wrote to Party support with my table name and date/time just to see if the other players' non-English violated rules. They responded right away to me saying that it was absolutely not ok. They also (claimed to have) reviewed the chat transcripts and sent emails to the offending parties chastising them and threatening them with account closure.

So, it seems that they do frown upon it, but I have no idea why they don't have it posted as a rule anywhere on the site.