PDA

View Full Version : Kings On Ace High Board

theBruiser500
01-13-2005, 03:31 PM
15/30 on PP, 6 handed, some guy limps in EP I raise in MP with red KK he calls. HU, flop is Ac 8c 3h. He checks, I'm new to limit but checking seems to have a lot of merit here, however my limit playing friend Daryn says I have to bet. But checking I might induce a bluff from him, if he has a flush draw he might have check/raised the flop and I'd have to fold but now I will get to a showdown vs. his flush draw. If he has two high cards like QJ or whatever he might pair up. I don't think a free card really hurts me here. What am I missing?

LarsVegas
01-13-2005, 05:52 PM
You aren't really missing much. I think checking here is a damn fine play.

I recently made a similar play at $20/40 at another site. The flop was A-7-x (rainbow I think) against the big blind. Check-check. Turn 7. Check-bet-checkraise. I had some reads on this player that made me call down with some ease.

River was another easing 7. My opponent had some hopeless crapola, no draw, perhaps one overcard to my pair (I actually think it was QQ), but nevertheless. I got a great play I never would have had I bet the flop.

And you lose a lot less if you want a showdown those times you are beat.

Great play (particularly with KK compared to QQ/JJ).

lars

astroglide
01-13-2005, 07:07 PM
2 clubs on the flop, no club in your hand. checking them specifically into a retarded flush draw can be annoying, especially if they are tricky (sniff weakness and checkraise the turn with it instead of betting). for me holding the king of clubs this is an easy check, not holding the king of clubs it's an easy bet.

LuckYou777
01-13-2005, 07:11 PM
yeah, i like checking there. its been a pretty winning play for me, especially in situations like Lars descibed. i been taking alot of abuse for my check there, so, needless to say... this is going in my favorite threads list.

best of "luck".

/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="green"> "3 Card" Monte Green </font> /images/graemlins/club.gif

Chris Daddy Cool
01-13-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But checking I might induce a bluff from him, if he has a flush draw he might have check/raised the flop and I'd have to fold but now I will get to a showdown vs. his flush draw. If he has two high cards like QJ or whatever he might pair up. I don't think a free card really hurts me here. What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

hi, giving free cards to what you think is a flush draw is dumb.

also he will call with a billion different hands here, dont worry about trying to get him to make a second best hand.

also if he c/r's you HU here in PP15/30, you should fold approcimiatley 0% of the time.

astroglide
01-13-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
also if he c/r's you HU here in PP15/30, you should fold approcimiatley 0% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong

Chris Daddy Cool
01-13-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also if he c/r's you HU here in PP15/30, you should fold approcimiatley 0% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

ok i exaggerate, but bruiser implied that if he got checkraised here he'd HAVE to fold, which i don't think is a good idea as a default line.

DcifrThs
01-13-2005, 10:50 PM
if you had qq and down its less and less likely to be good to check... but with kk, especially if there's a club in there, checking costs you little and often earns you big bet bluffs and calls you would not normally be entitled to...of course, he could have some cards that will catch, but those probabilities are slim compared to the likeliness of gaining at least a big bet in a call or bet.

-Barron

LarsVegas
01-14-2005, 02:34 AM
See where we are heading with this? Here we have two esteemed poster disagreeing over the line to take if Hero is check-raised on the flop, and one even disagreeing with himself soon.

In NL, avoiding tough decisions is hard, and the only way to succeed is probably to play an extremely tight, weak and non-profitable game.

However, not being faced with tough decisions in itself is a good thing. Because "tough decisions" implies that one doesn't really know for sure what the best line to take is. If you check this flop, I would say that most decisions afterwards in this hand will be pretty obvious. There will be some close and tough ones, but nowhere the amount if you bet the flop and get checkraised.

lars

daryn
01-14-2005, 02:46 AM
fold most of the times you are c/r'ed