PDA

View Full Version : Turning a Set -- draw heavy board

Dubra
01-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Some background... villain appears loose and aggressive but i haven't seen him show down any significant hands. Previous hand i was dealt 33 called bb, called a $2 raise and folded to a $2 raise on an ace high flop (i know i didnt have odds for this). ironically enough this hand is almost identically the same situation. in this case i put him on a high cards AQ or something of the sort... maybe QK. My bet on the flop is to feel him out. there a lot of draws out there. his lack of a raise indicates to me he doesn't have anything yet. The turn is a beautiful 3, but it puts 2 to a flush on the board. He fails to raise my turn bet, and I am confident at this point I am ahead. The river is a nice Ace. This is where I believe my play is bad. By leading for $10 i think i am effectively saying i know you have an ace and i can beat it. I'm not sure what the optimal bet would be in this situation. Villain has not shown any Post flop aggression. My $10 is probably too high should have been a value bet of $6 or so... i dont think he raises in this situation without two pair... anyway, i like my line until the river, whats your opinion

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button ($16.75)
SB ($27.55)
BB ($45.22)
UTG ($18)
Hero ($24.9)
MP1 <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> ($51.75)
MP2 ($109.1)
MP3 ($24.25)
CO ($22.65)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25. UTG posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG (poster) checks, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> raises to $2</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB (poster) folds, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls $1.50.

Flop: ($5.25) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, Villain calls $2.

Turn: ($9.25) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, Villain calls $5.

River: ($19.25) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, Villain folds.

Final Pot: $29.25

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 3h 3d (three of a kind, threes).
Outcome: Hero wins $29.25. </font>

tbach24
01-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Calling raises with pp's is fine, as long as you follow the "no set, no bet" rule. I don't think he had an ace, probably diamonds.

Dubra
01-13-2005, 03:41 PM
I disagree -- those $2 raises can add up. in this case i think i made +EV call because of the fact that i didn't use the no set no bet philosophy. I especially don't think you need to lapse into this mode when heads up. not to say you should bet every flop but in this situation, particularly following the previous hand, i think it is ok. i'm more interested in my postflop play, and the river bet.

TMFS9
01-13-2005, 03:44 PM
I like your line up to the river. I personally like the the flop bet. It's one that gives people a lot of trouble if they are holding AK or other over cards, with villan just calling the bet i would assume he's really strong(set of 10's) or fairly weak two overs. When you catch your 3 on the turn again I like the bet out here again too, and by not getting reraised I think you can safely assume that he doesn't have a monster. But on the river I think it would be a situation where villan will bet with more hands than he will call with. With the line that you took it looks an awfully a lot like you were holding A,10 and rivered your two pair. If you check on the river if villan is holding an Ace he will almost certainly bet out after calling all the way also your check makes the Ace look like it was a scare card. Also by your weak looking check since the villan is loose aggressive he may very well try to bluff at the pot with the scare card. If villan does bet I would probably check raise just enough to get called by an Ace.

Kaz The Original
01-13-2005, 03:47 PM
I really like the flop bet.

BigF
01-13-2005, 05:52 PM
I really don't like the flop bet here. 33 is just too small. Had you had 99 it would've been okay. When you miss the flop with 33 things don't look good at all even in heads-up situation. And you were out of position.

At higher level with a good read the flop bet might make sense. But at this level, most of the players won't be bluffed out of the pot if they had a piece of the flop, not to mention an overpair. And I'm sure you've met so many idiots online who will call down with a small pp as long as the bets are not outrageous.

Those out-of-position $2 flop bets do add up in the long term.

ericlambi
01-13-2005, 07:46 PM
I'd bet at least half-pot on the flop. No reasonable hand that the villain raised with pre-flop is going to fold to a 2/5 pot bet. If you did that to me and I'm holding AK, I might just come over the top of that bet and then you're screwed. I wouldn't do the same to anything in the $3+ range.

Turn: Looks good. There's some draws here, but I wouldn't call it "draw heavy". Unless he has J9 or 97, any straight is a gut shot and any flush is backdoor -- not big concerns.

River: I don't know why you are concerned about this so much. You hope he has an A and calls or raises. He obviously didn't have one. If he was a really aggressive player you could check hoping to trap, but that is the exception not the rule. He was calling here with any decent A and he didn't have one. He probably would have checked behind you anyway.