PDA

View Full Version : Too confused with 7-9BB

syka16
01-13-2005, 02:58 PM
This really gives me some troubles. I play lower buyins and when I'm down to about 8BB with 6 players left, I think I'm pushing too many marginal hands too far off the button.

Suppose there are 6 players left you're one off the button with 8BB. There are 2 medium stacks (semi loose) to your left and a very loose chip leader in the BB. What should you do with:

1. 66
2. A8o
3. QJs
4. KTo

This is my bottom range and I push them all but in a typical loose game I'm getting called very often and it's usually a coin flip. Please let me know what you think.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

syka16
01-13-2005, 03:24 PM
bump

El Maximo
01-13-2005, 03:29 PM
This is a tough situation. I play similiar to you and push these hands in this situation. I think they are borderline pushes but Im willing to gamble to grab some chips and make 1st or 2nd. I bust out alot in 5th and 6th place but I generate a high ROI at the lower buyins. I attribute this to these types of plays and aggressive play on the bubble. My bubble bust are fairly small. I think this is due to picking up chips in these spots and pushing everyone around once I hit the bubble. My strategy could also be flawed and variance just hasnt caught up with me yet.

MikeyEdge
01-13-2005, 03:30 PM
The answer to this could change significantly with small changes in the circumstances. I feel like 8BB is not low enough to be moving all-in with every hand, but in this case, I think you would move all-in with 6-6, A-8, and Q-Js. As for the K-To, I think I would probably fold and wait for a better spot to try to double up.

syka16
01-13-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My strategy could also be flawed and variance just hasnt caught up with me yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm at a bottom swing with this strategy... that's why I'm begining to have doubts. And I've noticed that most of my mid place finishes are because of plays like this as well as reraising LAG players with high-mid pairs.

syka16
01-13-2005, 03:41 PM
I think one of the reasons I push KTo in that spot is that I figure the loose chip leader will call with worse. But maybe that's a hand where I should have the button.

El Maximo
01-13-2005, 03:50 PM
I seem to have alot of 5th place finishes. Almost 18%. But my ROI stays high. It gets swingy sometimes. Im running through a 50 game low roi streak right now. Ive seen it turn around before. I think these types of situations have so many variables. If loose big stack limps alot than stealing blinds is difficult. You have play against him at some point. It also depends on what my image is. The more Ive pushed the more likely it is they will call. If I have a tight table image Im more willing to stretch my pushing standards. Id be interested in what others have to say.

microbet
01-13-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a tough situation. I play similiar to you and push these hands in this situation. I think they are borderline pushes but Im willing to gamble to grab some chips and make 1st or 2nd. I bust out alot in 5th and 6th place but I generate a high ROI at the lower buyins. I attribute this to these types of plays and aggressive play on the bubble. My bubble bust are fairly small. I think this is due to picking up chips in these spots and pushing everyone around once I hit the bubble. My strategy could also be flawed and variance just hasnt caught up with me yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only been keeping detailed records for a bit over 100 sng's but this is happening to me too. I have more 6th places than anything except for 1st's or 2nd's.

It seems very common that you don't really get a hand worth playing or maybe you lose a few chips on a couple PP's and then you start to get short stacked in about 6th place. At this point you steal some blinds and/or take a coin flip or two. If it goes well you are in good shape for a 1st or 2nd. If not, you are probably out.

syka16
01-13-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If loose big stack limps alot than stealing blinds is difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play at Poker Room where you get T1500. The loose big stacks are limping 50% of the time so its harder to steal. That's partly why I'm pushing marginal hands almost in MP. But what else can I do? Blind down to 5BB and you've got a good chance of getting called in multiple spots.

MikeyEdge
01-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Syka16, let me ask you something. How would you play these 4 hands from MP with an average stack in the first or second level?

syka16
01-13-2005, 04:05 PM
limp 66. maybe QJs if there isn't a lot of preflop raising. Fold the rest.

MikeyEdge
01-13-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play at Poker Room where you get

rachelwxm
01-13-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This really gives me some troubles. I play lower buyins and when I'm down to about 8BB with 6 players left, I think I'm pushing too many marginal hands too far off the button.

Suppose there are 6 players left you're one off the button with 8BB. There are 2 medium stacks (semi loose) to your left and a very loose chip leader in the BB. What should you do with:

1. 66
2. A8o
3. QJs
4. KTo

This is my bottom range and I push them all but in a typical loose game I'm getting called very often and it's usually a coin flip. Please let me know what you think.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I like 66 and A8, but I don't like QJs and KTo for this stack size.

zaphod
01-13-2005, 05:20 PM
I have the same kind of results as you: Most of 1,2,5 and 6'th places.

I like to steal with all the above, but i might also fold them. It depends on how aggresive i have been lately. If it has been a while since i pushed, i go for it.