PDA

View Full Version : Playing on a paired board..

lostinthought
01-13-2005, 02:45 PM
Can I release at the river or earlier? Am I donating in these situations?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP1 posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Thanks..

MoDOH
01-13-2005, 02:54 PM
I would fold on the flop...

chief444
01-13-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm definitely not folding on the river since if he had you outkicked it's now split.

I think your play here is fine.

chief444
01-13-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?

mistrpug
01-13-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After the initial bet or after the 3-bet?

lostinthought
01-13-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With no reads on the player, I think folding to the three bet is a good option. But folding immediately seems horrible to me.

dantheman_05
01-13-2005, 03:11 PM
fold after he three bets. he either has a 9 and your way behind, or he has a K in which case your probably still behind because your kicker is low. think about it like this, after he three bets is is showing stregnth so assume he doesnt have the 9 for argument sake. if you put him on a K what is his kicker? K8 not probable, K7 or lower wouldnt three bet probably. K9 your drawing dead. K10 KJ KQ AK your best case is to split the pot. so as you can see your not a favorite in most cases and since he three bet he probably has K10 or better. unless he is a super agressive player of course. another factor is the size of the pot. in this case 5 players saw the flop unrasied. sao tat is not what i consider a big pot. not worth pushing or calling with marginal hands. if you had KJ or better you could justify callign him down, but it would still be a weak play i think. If the pot was bigger calling him down would make more sense. remember thsi for all hands. each hands has its tiem and place (although trash hands like K8 have few of them). recognize which hands do best in what conditions. K8 is not suite dand not connected so it wont do good in a hand with many players. it wont doo good heads up either because of the 8. so it needs a lot of help on the flop to continue with it. your flop raise was questionable too. he bet out. there again, what could he have? unless he has K7 or sall pocket pair your not in good shape. since he three bet its a clear fold. if the pot was big i would have rasie dthe flop too, but in this case just fold and pick better spots. hope this helped

MoDOH
01-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Itīs a small pot, and if you decide to play you have to come in with a raise. Meaning that you will pay 2 SB to win 6, with just a TP crappy kicker with 3 more people yet to act and no idea where you are at...

And with no read on SB being a complete donkey, what exactly does he got that you beat? He is leading out into 5 people on a paired rainbow board...

You have crappy position in a small pot with a marginal holding. I say fold and wait for a better spot to invest your money...

James282
01-13-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With no reads on the player, I think folding to the three bet is a good option. But folding immediately seems horrible to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding to a three-bet is even worse, FWIW. Who isn't going to three-bet you here with KQ-KT? It's clear as day that you don't have a 9. A lot of people will three-bet hands your tied with your hands you beat as well. No, I think folding initially would be a much better play than folding to a three-bet.
-James

MoDOH
01-13-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding to the threebet is a very good option without a read on the villain.
Is folding immediately debatable? Yes. Horrible? Certainly not...

prrthd
01-13-2005, 06:10 PM
I have a question, would it be bad to cap it on the flop and then fold if the villain leads out?

lostinthought
01-13-2005, 07:37 PM
What does that accomplish? Does it insure that he has me beat?

The other posters seem to be suggesting that this is established by his 3 bet on the flop.

Buck_65
01-13-2005, 07:42 PM
I'm folding the turn without a specific read, but this is fine if villain gets out of line too often.

robertsonjohn
01-13-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a question, would it be bad to cap it on the flop and then fold if the villain leads out?

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't do anything for you. If he leads out, you fold. If he doesn't lead out and then you check, he knows you don't have the nine either and then he leads out on the river. If he doesn't lead out and then you bet, he's going to call you down. Either way, your money is going in the pot to someone who probably has you outkicked if he doesn't have a nine.

robertsonjohn
01-13-2005, 08:19 PM
To immediately contradict myself, I guess on further thought, it saves you 1/2 a BB if he doesn't have the nine (or in the unlikely chance that he has a nine but thinks you may have made a boat), leading him to decide to check to you on the turn.

Everyone made a fairly compelling argument that folding after the 3-bet is probably best, but next in line is probably capping as it saves you 1/2 a bet if beat, and carries the very slight possibility of picking up the pot if he fears your nine so much that he folds (although I can't imagine anyone not calling down after 3-betting).