PDA

View Full Version : I think I played this correctly, what does everyone else think?

Pil Sung Do
01-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t880)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t1440)</font>
BB (t785)
<font color="#C00000">UTG <font color="#A500AF">(ThinksHeIsGreat)</font> (t980)</font>
MP1 (t550)
MP2 (t2485)
CO (t880)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG <font color="#A500AF">(ThinksHeIsGreat)</font> raises to t60</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls t60, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, BB folds, UTG <font color="#A500AF">(ThinksHeIsGreat)</font> calls t240, Button folds.

Flop: (t690) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t680</font>, ThinksHeIsGreat calls t680 (All-In).

Turn: (t2050) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t2050) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2050

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
ThinksHeIsGreat has As 8s (two pair, aces and eights).
Hero has Kh Ah (one pair, aces).
Outcome: ThinksHeIsGreat wins t2050. </font>

citanul
01-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Can't say I'm an enormous fan of the size of your preflop raise (i think a bit smaller, to about 200, is better), but there's clearly not much way you're getting away from this post flop. You hit it too hard, and it's too non-scary.

Though it doesn't matter terribly much, what buyin was the game?

Hope you played the short stack well.

citanul

therock
01-13-2005, 01:55 PM
I would try to play more tournaments with "ThinksHeIsGreat". The guy raised pre-flop with A,8 then called a pre-flop re-raise for 1/3 of his stack.

JaBlue
01-13-2005, 02:01 PM
I don't like the size of the flop bet. I'd either check or bet 1/2-pot.

Pil Sung Do
01-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Buyin was $10.

The reason for the big raise was because that put him all in.

My analysis is this, he either has a pair or Ax. (I realize other hands are possible, but not as likely). When he didn't reraise preflop, I took off AA-QQ. On the flop, the only hands that beat me are AA, A9, A8, 88, 99 or 89.

I wasn't expecting him to call a large preflop raise with any of them (except maybe any of the pairs).

I felt that I was ahead more often than I was behind, and he would call w/ AQ-AT, perhaps even lower, as well as KK-TT.

And I didn't play the short stack well enough to place in the money that game. But I did follow him to another SNG a few minutes later where he was nice enough to double me up on the fourth hand. Finished second then /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Myst
01-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Your reraise leaves is too big preflop because you commit too much of your stack. The point of reraising is to gain control of the hand. I would minireraise to 120 and play from there.

Postflop, you hit your hand. Dont whine. You know it was a bad beat. Get over it.

Hickboy
01-13-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm definitely not a pro, but I have had good success in the $50 sit and gos on partypoker and multitable tournaments.

By the way you played the hand, it's impossible to get away from it after the flop. I like the all in play on the flop, since the pot is already big compared to the stack sizes, and you don't want your opponent to catch up if he is on a draw. Also, the all in bet is only about 100 chips bigger than the pot. Slowplaying is a bad idea for that flop with the possible draws. You really want to only get payed off by other pairs, and smaller aces (AQ AJ A10, A7, etc.). And if your opponent has those hands, you'll most likely get payed off regardless. Basically you hit the flop, and he just happened to hit it harder. No way you're getting away from AK here.

In the early stages of the tournament (Levels 1-2, and maybe 3), I would prefer to just call a raise with AK in the blinds (there are exceptions, but I don't think this is one of them). Afterall, it is just ace high.

There are many pros to this. First off, it keeps the pot small, so if you miss, you can get away from it relatively cheaply. Secondly, you can more easily control the pot and more easily discourage certain draws. Lastly, it's easier to get away from the hand if you hit, but have evidence that someone hit a set, or some crazy 2 pair, etc. On the down side, you won't win the pot as often, and the pots you win will probably be smaller.

I would definitely play AK much more agressively once the blinds mean something (25-50 or 50-100 and above, depending on the situation). Also, I would definitely open with AK from any other position to cut down the field and to built a pot in case an Ace or King falls, and still have enough control of the pot on the flop.

Feel free to comment.