PDA

View Full Version : A set with weird action...

bergh
01-13-2005, 12:57 PM
This was my first session at $2/$4. I had just played a couple of hands so I had no good reads on anyone but the CO, which I had met earlier at $1/$2. He entered about half of his hands PF. I had no other notes on him so I guess he is pretty straight forward.

Inter Poker 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) (NO CONVERTER)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
All call .

Flop: (5 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
3 check, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, All but BB call.

Turn: (6.5 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

River: (14.5 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB folds, UTG checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 14.5 BB

I played the flop fast to get rid of gutshots and extract the most from flush draws. The turn action got me totally confused. I couldn't put them on any reasonable hands and ended up with calling. SB cold calling a second time made me put him on a flush draw. When the third heart fell at the river I thought he had me beaten, but then he just folded his hand!

Would anyone value bet the scary river card or raise the turn? What do you put the other players on?

Edit: Ooops, wrong suite on the river card...

Grisgra
01-13-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When the third heart fell at the river I thought he had me beaten, but then he just folded his hand!

[/ QUOTE ]

What third heart? I wuss out and don't bet the river -- but I do 3-bet the turn.

bergh
01-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Sorry, The river was a heart.

LuckYou777
01-13-2005, 01:11 PM
i think a 3-bet on the turn is the only real strategically sound move there. as for betting the river... could very well have the best hand, but i don't think i could bring myself to pull the trigger there.

as for the SB... i'm thinking misclick. you don't see much folding when you could have checked in limits above .10-.20 Play Money.

best of "luck."

/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="green"> "3 Card" Monte Green </font> /images/graemlins/club.gif

Milky
01-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Any reason why you didn't raise PF on the button with 8s?

bergh
01-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Probably because I'm new to shorthanded play. Which pocket pairs do you usually raise?

Should I start play hands weaker offsuite aces than ATo in favourable position when shorthanded? I occationally raise with weaker hands, but only when I expect that there is a good chance it will buy me the pot.

What VP$IP and raising stats should I aim at?

Yads
01-13-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any reason why you didn't raise PF on the button with 8s?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I like raising pre flop with 8s here. With 3 calls already you're more playing the 8s for set value rather than having them hold up against 1 or 2 opponents.