PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What percentage of your on-line play is tournaments?

PE101
01-13-2005, 10:33 AM

PE101
01-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Not a big sample, but it looks like the majority of the responses are that most of us prefer tourneys. (Granted, this is a STT fourm.)

But, why to you prefer tourneys?

I prefer them because I think they're more fun. I know that that may be an unpopular rationale around here.

Other reasons?

valenzuela
01-13-2005, 04:06 PM
I prefer sit and gos because its not always the same, in ring games its always the same objective...In sng u have the early stages( which is quite boring) and then the middle stages( where most poker is played) the bubble, ITM( by far my favourite part of the sng) and heads-up. I play on Ultimate Bet and a sit and go takes like 75 minutes to complete.

PE101
01-13-2005, 04:08 PM
Wow! 75 minutes.

I play on Pary and a SnG rarely takes more than an hour.

I wonder what the diff is...

La Brujita
01-13-2005, 04:12 PM
I just saw the poll and chimed in. I play only ring games for the following reasons:

1. I make more money at limit ring games

2. I like to come and go as I please

3. I like the ability to scout players and try to find the best players, since I am diligent it gives me an overlay

4. I find getting outdrawn on the bubble to give me more heartburn than being outdrawn in a ring game.

5. I came to the conclusion that perhaps I suck at 1-tablers. Not suck, or perhaps a more gentle way to look at it is my skill set better translates to limit ring games.

Sam T.
01-13-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow! 75 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

On UB the starting stacks are bigger (t1000 [or even 1500?]for a SnG, t1500 for a MTT), and the blinds start smaller (5-10) and go up more slowly. Your hourly rate will be lower, but ROI will be higher. Their software is not as pleasing, but I have to say that the structure agrees with me.

I only play ring games when I'm grinding out a bonus. After a few months the limit ring games became too mechanical, and I don't have the BR for NL ring games.

revots33
01-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Reasons I prefer tournaments:

More fun.
Like the competition.
I do better at them than ring games.
I'm less prone to tilt since downside is limited - even the worst bad beat in the world is only gonna cost me 1 buy-in.
Less variance.

I play cards for entertainment, not as a 1st or 2nd job, so I'm going to stick with what I enjoy most. Tournaments have been profitable for me and they are a fun way to spend a few hours.

PE101
01-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Yea! What he said.

My sentaments exactly.

mrbill22
01-13-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm glad to see your "fun" comment. I've learned a great deal from 2+2, but so often the posters seem to not enjoy playing the game. Granted, I don't multi-table, & I play much, much less than (it appears) most posters play. But I do it first for fun. I want to get good at the game, and it would be nice to profit from it (maybe supplement my retirement, if online poker survives), but I'm in it for the fun. And tournaments are fun. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cleveland Guy
01-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Re post this in general - way to biased in here.

It would be like asking what stakes people play for, and posting in the mid/high forum, and wonder why no one likes to play 1/2 or 2/4.

Or asking if NL is better than Limit in the NL section.

PE101
01-13-2005, 06:02 PM
You're absolutely right about the bias!

I was interested the participants in this specific forum’s responses.

Good idea about reposting in the general forum.

KJ o
01-14-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow! 75 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

15 minutes or more.

PE101
01-14-2005, 12:43 PM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I never was that good at 'rithmatic