PDA

View Full Version : Micro-limit -- like playing "best ball" golf

Bolivar
01-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Mostly I'm just venting frustration here after a night of getting worn down by the "rags to riches" calling stations on a .05-.10 table on Royal Vegas. It was one of those nights when I couldn't hit a flop for anything -- get a big pocket pair, watch it loose to someone playing 8-5s utg who flops 2 pair. Hit the flop once, only to have another one of "those types" playing 7-5o make a straight on the river. Etc. etc etc...

Yes, I know that in the 'long run' it supposedly comes around. Play tight, etc. etc.

And when you only have one or two of those types at a table, I'm sure it does. But what about when you've got 4,5 or more of them? It occured to me that its like those "best ball" golf tournaments -- where 2 or more players play as a team, and after each stroke, the whole team then plays from the "best" position any of them had after the first shot. I was watching the scores for a recent charity tournament that was played this way, and four-somes of 20 handicap guys were coming in under par -- because on each shot, only one of them had to hit it well, and it didn't matter if the other 3 all totally blew it.

When you get enough of these, errr.... "loose" (somehow there needs to be another term for playing 6-4o from any position) players seeing the flop, the odds of one of them hitting something seems to go up a lot. Things become almost a crapshoot.

Just venting.

jrz1972
01-13-2005, 10:06 AM
When you have a bunch of retards at the same table, your hands will hold up much less frequently than they would at a tighter table, but when they DO hold up, you will get paid off much more than you would against non-retards.

This is one of the reasons why being suited is such a big deal in micro-limit games. On those occasions where you make a flush against a bunch of loosies who call down with bottom pair, you win a huge pot. That's where you get paid back for all the times you've had TPTK cracked by junk.

Verdi
01-13-2005, 10:07 AM
Yes, it's called schooling (I think) and it makes the lowest limits a living hell. If everyone chase to the river someone will hit something big. Your top pair isn't worth anything...

TwoShedsJackson
01-13-2005, 10:15 AM
And if no-one chased to the river with bottom pair or occassionally hit their draw and so never won a pot, they would stop playing entirely. Let them chase.

jrz1972
01-13-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it's called schooling (I think) and it makes the lowest limits a living hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning money hand over fist is your idea of a living hell?

Verdi
01-13-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it's called schooling (I think) and it makes the lowest limits a living hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning money hand over fist is your idea of a living hell?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like bad beats. It makes me go on tilt. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But I understand what you mean. I like having 2-3 maniacs at the table. But not 5-6.

DMBFan23
01-13-2005, 10:41 AM
yeah, it definitely takes an adjustment in strategy to deal with the 'implicit collusion' of 7 opponents conspiring (not really conspiring, but you know what I mean...) to beat you - stronger hands like straights and flushes and sets play really well here, which is why pocket pairs, Axs, and good suited connectors all go up in value in these loose passive games. especially when you can get in for one bet preflop. hands like AKo still play well, but your one pair hands will have higher variance.

slickterp
01-13-2005, 11:07 AM
bolivar - i recently started playing at royal vegas w/ their free $10 and found the same thing: you get sucked out alot, but paid off big when you hit. found solution: play the micro NL tables. same guys will call your 8x PF raises w/ junk and call big bets to the river, so you REALLY get paid off. i feel the NL tables are better at vegas b/c you can really punish those willing to play inferior hands.

Bolivar
01-13-2005, 09:10 PM
You mean like the time I hit the flush on the same card one of those types made their 4's over 7's full house?

LazyRobot
01-13-2005, 09:21 PM
You still have to pay attention. When the board pairs and you're drawing to a straight/flush you have to consider someone just filled up. Evaluate their preflop and flop play. Flushes lose to FHs, yes, but it's pretty damn hard to get a full house with out the board pairing or even tripling. When the board is paired drawing to a flush for a 2nd best hand is always a possibility.