PDA

View Full Version : LAG Situation #1

spydog
01-13-2005, 09:27 AM
I never know if my play against LAGs is optimal, so I intend on posting some hypothetical situations. Here is the 1st one:

Assume the LAG is not a maniac and plays reasonably well postflop.

Folded to LAG who raises from CO. Folded to me in BB. I have J8s. I call.

1) This is an easy call, no?

Flop comes Q84 rainbow. I check-raise. LAG calls.

2) What is the preferred line here? Anybody just calldown? Anybody lead and then 3-bet?

Turn is a 2. I bet. LAG raises.

3) What is your plan? Do you fold to the raise or call down?

4) What if the action was the same but the turn was an Ace or King, then do you fold? Or, would you ever fold in this spot?

Bill Smith
01-13-2005, 09:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Folded to LAG who raises from CO. Folded to me in BB. I have J8s. I call.

1) This is an easy call, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop comes Q84 rainbow. I check-raise. LAG calls.

2) What is the preferred line here? Anybody just calldown? Anybody lead and then 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still like trapping LAGs for 2 bets on the flop, but if CO will play back with just about anything or nothing, I can't see any reason not to lead then 3-bet.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is a 2. I bet. LAG raises.

3) What is your plan? Do you fold to the raise or call down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling down.

[ QUOTE ]
4) What if the action was the same but the turn was an Ace or King, then do you fold? Or, would you ever fold in this spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Player dependent. I call down LAGs that will automatically play back when a scare card hits, and fold to those that tend to raise any Ace/King preflop. When in doubt, call down.

Danenania
01-13-2005, 04:13 PM
1.) Yes, easy call.
2.) I use rope-a-dope often so I might just call the flop, but c/r is fine too.
3.) No way can you fold to the raise.
4.) I'm probably calling down no matter what comes. Depends exactly how lag he is postflop and my specific read, but these guys loooove to take shots on scare cards and since you c/r the flop they put you on a Q or 8.

applej25
01-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Why would you want to call a LAG with 3-8 suited or not? Dont you want to be calling these guys with quality hands and hands that can stand up with little or no improvement eg. A-X The lack of certainty with which you can play 8-3 postflop is zero regardless of whether you hit or not (with the exception of flopping a monster of course which isnt likely). Bottom line - I fold.

Danenania
01-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Reread the post. Hero has J8s not 83s.

DrGutshot
01-13-2005, 09:35 PM
I think I often check-call the whole way.

either that or check/call the flop, c/r an undercard turn, bet a safe river, otherwise check/call again.

-DrG