PDA

View Full Version : Should I be dumping this set

montybear
01-13-2005, 08:40 AM
First hand of a Pacific $16 20-person SNG, so obviously, no reads on anyone.
I'm in the SB and after 5 limpers, I complete with 9/10s. BB checks and the flop comes up 9,9,Q.
I check, EP raises 100. One caller, from MP, then all folded to me. I cr to $400. EP raises all in, MP calls all in and it is back to me???
Comments are greatly appreciated. Results to follow
Monty

unfrgvn
01-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Standard terminology on this board is that you have trips, a set would be if you had pocket nines and the third nine was on board. Obviously a much stronger hand. How many chips do you start with? If it is 800 you have half your stack in there. Are there two of a suit on the board? If so my guess would be you are against a flush draw and a Q, maybe AQ. Personally I would call, the only hands you are dead to are QQ or Q9. If you are up against A9 or K9 you still have 3 outs and based on my experience the last couple weeks the 3 outers always hit, at least against me.

montybear
01-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Actually, at the $16 SNG they give you $1000 chips to start. So I figured my raise didn't necessarily pot commit me, but would scare off a Q. The rainbow flop would only allow for someone holding 10J to be drawing, and should charge them appropriately. Once I saw an all-in and a call, my thoughts changed. I figured I was up against AQ and 9x. But what is the x? That was my $16 question. At that point there was $1000 + $1000 + callers= ~$2500. About 4.5 to 1 (i think) to call with and a hand that is either well ahead (x=crap), well behind (x > 10), or crushed (QQ somewhere out there, not that I check under the bed, /images/graemlins/wink.gif). What is the correct play?

MikeyEdge
01-13-2005, 10:40 AM
I think I probably take my chances and call here. Youre probably up against a big pocket pair like J-J and an A-Q or K-Q or even a 10-J is highly likely.

assron
01-13-2005, 10:40 AM
I'd call, just because I was already so invested in the hand, have a good chance of tripling up, and it's the first hand so I could just fire up another if I lost. Nobody's ever accused me of being risk-averse though.

adanthar
01-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Pacific is worse than Party, right? Autocall.

Mystic
01-13-2005, 10:58 AM
If you think folding is even an option in this situation then please tell me your poker name and I'll add you to my buddy list.

Obviously this is a results oriented post and you lost to A9 or some such. So what?

montybear
01-13-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm Montyboo at Pacific /images/graemlins/wink.gif
And yes it is results oriented.
I insta-called, as seemingly everyone would have and saw AQ from EP and 94 from MP. Laugh as you will, he rivered the 4 and i'm gone. Then I started wondering if I should have called at all, not because i lost, (okay, yes because i lost) but because I didn't give them credit for a better 9. I feel better losing how I did (rivered), and knowing that others would have done the same and most importantly, knowing that people at pacific will play 94 and then throw it all in the middle after being check raised /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

unfrgvn
01-13-2005, 01:06 PM
See, told you the 3 outers always hit! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif