PDA

View Full Version : Building the pot preflop?

dauler
01-13-2005, 06:48 AM
I raised with QJs from the big blind because I figured that most people were limping with much worse hands, the table was running 50% vpip over about 30 hands, but is this a good strategy to use? I know that I'll miss the flop more often than not, should I have just taken it for free instead? Evaluate me over the rest of the hand as well.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, SB calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Wario
01-13-2005, 06:56 AM
Preflop you're not raising because your hand is better, you're raising because your hand does well in multiway pots and therefore has an equity edge. I'm not sure if it's the right play though.

I hate that flop bet. You don't have the best hand and you're not clearing up any outs. You're just knocking out people who would have paid you off when you make your hand.

Turn and river are good in my opinion.

Chris Daddy Cool
01-13-2005, 08:22 AM
standard pf raise.

flop bet will fold no one.

if the river weren't a club i'd checkraise.

Wario
01-13-2005, 08:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
standard pf raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about JTs KTs or QTs?

Nick Royale
01-13-2005, 08:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
standard pf raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This PF raise is (mostly) because of our big equity in this multiway pot, right? Not, as suggested in HPFAP, to induce players continue playing when you flop a flush/draw? I don't think that theory applies in most of our micro-limit games.