PDA

View Full Version : Party $22 - AJs in BB

Mons
01-13-2005, 01:16 AM
How do I play this better? 3rd hand in no reads.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t770)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t690)
CO (t875)
Button (t770)
SB (t895)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t15, CO calls t15, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t75) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t75</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls t75, SB folds.

Turn: (t225) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, CO calls t100.

River: (t425) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t685 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1110

adanthar
01-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Either bet more on the turn or CR. I'd bet around 150.

The river is interesting, but given how you played it thus far I think I'd rather bet 200/fold than this.

ericlambi
01-13-2005, 02:22 AM
WAAAAY too small of bet on the turn. Overbet pot and make him fold his flush draw, or make a huge error to play for it. Good fold.

Michael C.
01-13-2005, 02:36 AM
"Harrington on Poker," talks about this EXACT situation. You have to bet enough to make calling you a mathamatical mistake. As it was if he's brawing he's getting 3.25-1 expressed odds, plus implied odds, since he probably would have been able to get a little more out of you with a smaller bet at the end. So with a bigger bet on the turn he'd have been making a mistake. I think I would have went with a pot-sized bet myself. Maybe he calls you anyway, but it still would have been his mistake in that case, since he then couldn't have gotten the right price.

egj
01-13-2005, 03:29 AM
This is the standard argument which I've heard many times - that you must bet enough to not give flush draws the right odds to call. These arguments may be right but they always seem to gloss over the fact that you don't know the opponent has a flush draw. There are lots of other hands he could have (esp. given that this is Party): a lower jack, middle pair, a gutshot straight draw, overcards, etc. Against all these hands you want to encourage calls with a small bet.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the position that you should make a larger bet on the turn here, but I think it's not as simple as it might seem.

Mr_J
01-13-2005, 04:08 AM
Isn't flop bet too small?

Bigger bet on turn to kill his odds.

I would've called this. I think he's bluffing, if I hit the flush I would've bet less to keep you in it.

How'd I do? (I'll keep asking this so no-one actually thinks this is advice, and so people can feel free to point out any bad play)

Mons
01-13-2005, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. The weak turn should have been an obvious mistake I can't believe I did that.

I folded mainly because I had less than 25% of my stack invested and it was very early. I figured I could work my way back from there.

My final question: if I make a pot-sized turn bet and the spade still falls what's my line? Check/call? Bet/call? Check/fold?

Thanks again.

bigredlemon
01-13-2005, 04:55 AM
Check. Then consider calling/folding. I'd lean towards folding small bets and calling all ins.