PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Pairs Vs. Big Slick Pre-Flop

Beezos
01-13-2005, 12:43 AM
In the past week, I've held a pocket pair and was all in up against Ace-King preflop in two different situations and lost. I am seeking a critique.

Situation 1:
Short handed game. .25/.50 live. I am on the button with queens, and push. Big blind calls. Rest of table folds. His AK is suited with spades. The high cards do not come but two spades come on the flop and the last one on the turn. I lose.

Situation 2:
Full ring. 1/1 live. I am in the blind and have 9's. Half the table calls the blind. Button Raises to 10 and I push all in 50 bucks. Second player UTG goes all in short stack 14 dollars. #3 UTG calls my all in. Button folds. Cards are flipped. #2 holds Ace,9 suited. #3 has the big slick. FLop comes a rainbow no Ace. Ace on the turn. Again I lose.

Am I playing my pocket pairs wrong? I look back at both hands, and I realized if I had not pushed pre-flop I could have possibly ended the hand on the flop with an all-in. Should I just re-raise double the original raise or just call? And go all in on the flop if i see no Ace? Obviously I know I cannot always put my opponent on big slick. In the latter situation I knew he held it once he said call. But if I am able to narrow the hand down the hand, am i better off re-raising or calling and waiting for the flop to raise? I guess in short I am asking did I play these right and if not how can I play them better.

thanks,

beeez

Biff M.
01-13-2005, 12:57 AM
Lost two coinflips in a row? Didn't think that was possible /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think you're being too aggressive, this isn't a tournament so there's no need to double up on small edges. The majority of calls you get will be from AA, KK, and in certain situations AK and QQ, so when you lose 2/2 with QQ and 99 I'm not surprised.

Hand 1: Raise on the button. Push/bet (stack dependant) that flop.

Hand 2: Fold.

Beezos
01-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Hand #2 i knew the button was a LAG who raised with weak holdings, so i was re-raising his bluff. i however did not expect to be called by two limpers behind me. at first i was psyched to see that there were 2 aces out of play but not as psyched when one of the guys had one of my nines...

lostinthought
01-13-2005, 11:11 AM
You're play seems to resemble tournament play more than ring play.
Can't you wait for better spots to put your stack in?

swolfe
01-13-2005, 11:13 AM
#2 - playing 9's out of position, i'd just call to allow the other limpers to call and build a big pot for when i hit my set. if i miss the set, then i'll check/fold.