PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this bad or did this guy dig his own grave? (Or both?)

ericlambi
01-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 ($196.2)
MP3 ($47)
CO ($97)
Button ($308.9)
SB ($137.75)
BB ($178.2)
UTG ($127.4)
UTG+1 ($250.5)
UTG+2 ($101)
Hero ($112.05)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, MP2 calls $8, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB (poster) folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($19) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $9</font>, Hero calls $9.

Turn: ($37) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $20</font>, Hero calls $20.

River: ($77) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero is all-in for $75.05. MP2 calls $75.05.

Final Pot: $152.05

MP2 shows KK.
Hero shows AK.

Hero wins.

My thoughts:

Pre-flop is pretty standard. I raised and got called.

Flop: the table was pretty aggressive, so I didn't want to bet out on a bluff. The $9 bet seemed weak, so I called.

Turn: I thought about betting out here after picking up a straight draw, nut flush, and two overs. But I decided my preference was to see the river as cheaply as possible. The $20 bet was right about my calling limit. What do you think about calling this bet with all these outs?

River: Ace hits and I insta go in. I thought for sure I made my hand. This was dumb because any sane player is not calling me with a hand that doesn't have an ace. Lucky for me wassup1294 is not sane. He called very quickly and I just knew he was going to turn up AQ. Guess I was wrong.

I am really uncomfortable with how I played this hand. AQ was high on my radar of possible holdings he had. All I can say is that I had a moment of temporary insanity. Sometimes you get paid to learn a poker lesson I guess.

krazyace5
01-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Thie guy with KK played it terrible.

LooseAggressive
01-12-2005, 11:55 PM
I'm not a fan of his play with KK here. I think your line will usually cost you money. You could very easily be reverse dominated at this point. I don't think you have the correct pot odds(however you might have the correct implied odds) to draw to your flush on the turn. Usually that bet on the river will only be called by someone who has you beat. I think you got lucky this time that you opponent married KK.

Sincerely,
LooseAggressive