PDA

View Full Version : Norman Chad

ILikeApples
01-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Is Norman Chad going to host the WSOP again? I really liked how he ripped the pros. My favorite was his rip of Helmuth: "...and Phil is still looking for the room to acknowledge his presence..."*

*Not an exact quote, but it was the best that I could remember.

What are your favorite Norman Chad quotes?

ddss6_99
01-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Re: Mattius Anderson
"When he scratches his nose, it's a signal for someone in the audience to bring him a popsicle!"

Biff M.
01-12-2005, 11:55 PM
I don't see any reason why not. The deep hand analysis might not be there, but I see the WSOP shows as primarily entertainment, and he is funny.

phixxx
01-13-2005, 12:02 AM
I like the other guy better.

pindawg
01-13-2005, 12:10 AM
"Hellmuth's covering his mouth again, or perhaps he's just smelling his fingers. Ya know that could mean only one of two things."

Riverman
01-13-2005, 12:11 AM
I think the guy is great:

"Its so quiet you can hear Phil Hellmuth thinking he is the best player in the room"

"And Greg Raymer is writing in his notebook, 'the one seat...is a jerk'"

pancakes
01-13-2005, 12:15 AM
I totally disagree(no offense), I think his nonsense quotes take away from the actual game. I mean why can't he simply do it in a professional manner like Mike Sexton and Vince Van Patten on the WPT. and I really found his little attempts at humor to be quite obnoxious

pindawg
01-13-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I totally disagree(no offense), I think his nonsense quotes take away from the actual game. I mean why can't he simply do it in a professional manner like Mike Sexton and Vince Van Patten on the WPT. and I really found his little attempts at humor to be quite obnoxious

[/ QUOTE ]

Go home. This is a thread for people who think VVP is a homosexual.

goldseraph
01-13-2005, 12:20 AM
I hope that Norm and Lon do it again... I find them to be the best and funniest commentators.

pindawg
01-13-2005, 12:21 AM
"He could win the hand with a 2, 4, 7, 8 or 10. I even think he could even win if any uno card comes up."

Biff M.
01-13-2005, 03:49 AM
That's a good one. I also love these:

From the countdown of memorable moments 2004, at no. 10 we see from the Raymer-Matusow table. In the end he says something like ".. maybe the other 9 will be Mike Matusow taunting other players to go on and win the WSOP."

Paul Phillips is wearing a hat at a final table. "Is he considering a call, a raise? Perhaps considering getting rid of that hat".

Autocratic
01-13-2005, 05:03 AM
Norman Chad is hilarious. Personally I think the WPT commentating is ridiculous. Sexton and VVP constantly use their little nicknames and catch phrases for everything and everyone. Just tell me the names of the players and what the cards are. I don't need to hear that "the young Russian" has "fishhooks in the hole." It doesn't sound cool. Also, there's no need to whisper, it's television.

bigredlemon
01-13-2005, 05:26 AM
does anyone else find some of Sexton's commentary unintentionally funny?

I.e.
Flop: A/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif
P1: check
P2: bet
P1: call

Turn: A/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif [ 2/images/graemlins/club.gif]
P1: check
P2: bet
P1: large raise
P2: fold

Sexton: He has top pair but is drawing dead against the flush. He folds to the raise! How does he know it!!?? Unbelievable poker instinct! That's why they're professionals. Some people would have lost their entire stack here! I'm amazed at the incredible skill seen here today!

pindawg
01-13-2005, 05:36 AM
Sexton: (shocked) "And he mucks his A4 offsuit! Vince I'm surprised to see it ..."

plaster8
01-13-2005, 06:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What are your favorite Norman Chad quotes?

[/ QUOTE ]

From 2004, some player (don't remember this exactly) wasn't happy with his own play, and said something like, "I shouldn't have checked."
Chad's response: "Yeah, well, I shouldn't have married a woman I met at a Jiffy Lube, but what are you going to do?"

Bigdaddydvo
01-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Over and over, NC made reference to the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif as the prettiest card in the deck. Sadly, I don't get the joke behind it. Can anyone explain?

otnemem
01-13-2005, 10:47 AM
I wondered the same thing. He kept saying, "We'll see why in just a few minutes..." I was thinking it would be in the hand of whoever knocked Mattias Andersson out.

I'm not a huge Norman Chad fan, but at least he's never said, "bingo, bango, bongo." Ugh.

vindikation
01-13-2005, 11:40 AM
The only thing I can think of with the A/images/graemlins/spade.gif is that it could look like the place where you're supposed to put your...mmmmm...male gender thing in.

Then again my mind is in the gutter so WTF do I know.

Prior22
01-13-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Yeah, well, I shouldn't have married a woman I met at a Jiffy Lube, but what are you going to do?"

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my favorite by far as well.

B Dids
01-13-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're either a troll or an idiot. For all his joking around, Chad is more professional, more entertaining, and a better poker commentator than VVP is.

IgorSmiles
01-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Sexton is the poker equivelent to long time Yankee announcer, Phil Rizzuto.

"It's a long fly ball, deep deep deep...caught by the short stop just off the pitchers mound."

He's such a homer and so freakin positive. Just once I'd like to hear Sexton say, "This guy is just horrible. How the hell did HE make a final table."

VVP: "That's for sure, can we get this guy for my home game?"

benfranklin
01-13-2005, 03:13 PM
Talking about members of the "Crew" writing a book, Chad said, with those guys, of course it would have to be a coloring book.

dankhank
01-13-2005, 03:25 PM
i can't think of my favorite chad one-liners off the top of my head, but i do remember thinking it was funny that he kept thinking jan slavik had snuck to the final table halfway in, because he plays so unnoticeably.

chad should also be given credit for spot-on editorial comments like saying jim mcmanus was out of line for criticizng ellix power's straddle, as well as saying dave colclough was out of line for blasting robert williamson for talking during a hand.

norman chad is great.

Yeti
01-13-2005, 03:43 PM
'I'm a big fan of the Crew Lon, but can't they just walk on the sidewalk? What is this, Westside Story?'

Best line ever.

toots
01-13-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the greatest examples of sarcasm I've ever read.

Or at least I hope it was.

FoxwoodsFiend
01-13-2005, 03:48 PM
I actually think those lines are exactly what's wrong with Norman Chad. It's just not funny, and he's clearly trying too hard at all points in time. When I saw this clip with my friends, we all screamed about how much we hate Norman Chad and how corny he is. I'm just shocked that some people find the "I shouldn't have married a woman I met at a Jiffy Lube" quote humorous at all.

toots
01-13-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm just shocked that some people find the "I shouldn't have married a woman I met at a Jiffy Lube" quote humorous at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well when you divorce your current wife, you'll probably see the humor, but for now, it's probably just hitting too close to home.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-13-2005, 04:22 PM
I will say that I do think he was trying a little too hard during the 2004 WSOP coverage. He's still funny and by far the best poker commentator on tv - infinitely better than VVP. I hope ESPN keeps him and Lon together for their WSOP coverage for a long time. They're a perfect fit.

m bozeman
01-13-2005, 05:10 PM
How about this one;

"Phil's first book was called Play Poker Like the Pro's, his second should be called Cry Like a Baby".