PDA

View Full Version : Raising pre-flop with pocket pairs

illab
01-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Whats the lowest pocket pair you suggest raising with? I always raise with jacks and up and sometimes with tens if the table seems tight and I have position. Should I do something differently?

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-13-2005, 02:09 AM
This depends on a lot of factors such as position, previous limpers or the lack of, how the table is, in some cases your table image as well as other factors.

swolfe
01-13-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Whats the lowest pocket pair you suggest raising with? I always raise with jacks and up and sometimes with tens if the table seems tight and I have position. Should I do something differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

jacks and up if it's limped to me. re-raise AA/KK and sometimes QQ depending on stacks/position/etc.

i'll raise 99/TT if it's limped to me and i'm in good position and the table is tight. i'll also raise these from MP occassionally if it's folded to me to mix it up every now and then.

i'll raise 77/88 from the button if it's been folded to me, but then again i'll raise just about any playable hand if it's folded to me on the button.

Leo Bello
01-13-2005, 11:45 AM
The greatest problem is knowing how to play TT and under. The correct moment to raise with these hands and to limp with. In a multiway pot, limping with this hands is a good choice to try to hit a set, but what if someone after you raises the pot... this is to me the biggest question... throw away your PP under JJ or call the raise. I tend to normally still call a medium raise if the pot is still multiway. On the other side going heads-up is a tough choice, unless the person goping all-in is short stacked.

slickterp
01-13-2005, 12:31 PM
definite raise w/ hooks or better, TT on button or one off if a bunch of limpers.

wbrumfiel
01-13-2005, 05:39 PM
anyone like a min-raise with 99-77 in late position? I find that when it hits and overcards come as well its a huge payday.

BigF
01-13-2005, 06:01 PM
99-77: min raise.
TT-JJ: raise a little more.
QQ: more
KK/AA: big raise.

If you think I'm kidding I'm gonna shoot u.

Autocratic
01-13-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's approximately my strategy. It depends on position, I'll usually raise tens a little bigger than most people on the button. People think wired jacks and tens are dangerous, but usually after the flop it's not hard to see where you stand when you're in position.

Ghazban
01-13-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Horrible plan if anybody at the table is paying any attention at all to your raise sizes. You might as well just flip your cards over if you are that predictable.

amoeba
01-13-2005, 07:57 PM
your kidding note throws off my sarcasm meter.

AncientPC
01-13-2005, 08:20 PM
I push all in with any pocket pairs down to 44 like the pros on TV.

luggie
01-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Ghazban,i see your point but i really dont think alot of players pay attention to what size our raises are.I think alot of the players are not even paying attention.I look for the ones that are on the ball and stay out of there way unless ive got a srtong hand.Any one else think most players are like this?

Ghazban
01-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Even if you're at a table with 8 fish and one smart player, that one guy will never lose money to you and will often stack off through you (or, if you always fold to any strength from him, he will steal the pot every time you're in a hand). If you spend the rest of your poker life playing monkeys on Party $25, I guess you might win money long term this way but, if you ever want to take your game to the next level, its a habit that absolutely must go.