PDA

View Full Version : Seatbelts

theBruiser500
01-12-2005, 10:31 PM
I meant to make this post a few weeks ago and forgot. In China no one buckled their seat belt, and now in the Bahamas I see no one buckle up, and in cabs I don't see anyone buckle up. I didn't realize it at the time but I was in a couple of car accidents with friends on the highway that I could have died in if I wasn't buckled up. SO BUCKLE YOUR SEATBELT EVERYONE.

bholdr
01-12-2005, 11:18 PM
just kidding. it's such a simple thing, so +EV, i wonder why some people don't?

CCx
01-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Click it or ticket!

jstnrgrs
01-13-2005, 04:10 AM
I always buckle up, but i think it's dumb that it's required.

Click it or Die.

jakethebake
01-13-2005, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I always buckle up, but i think it's dumb that it's required. Click it or Die.

[/ QUOTE ]
DING DING DING

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-13-2005, 10:11 AM
Same thing in italy. They have fewer fatal accidents per capita i think but they also drive better. The kids there dont go nuts over alcohol either...

El Barto
01-13-2005, 10:13 AM
Read this thread to see the difference it makes in an accident. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1524103&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-13-2005, 10:21 AM
"The possibility of being ejected, the death that can result from that."

HAHAAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHA

beerbandit
01-13-2005, 10:59 AM
i always wear my seatbelt up front -- i hardly ever forget but if i do it feels almost uncomfortable nto to have it on

for some reason if i do end up sitting in the back i dont not wear it unless the driver requests it

click or ticket here in michigan also

cheers

The Ocho
01-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Seatbelt not required in New Hampshire once you're over 18. No helmet law either. I like a state where you are responsible for your own ass.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-13-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like a state where you are responsible for your own ass.

[/ QUOTE ]
I generally agree, but it does cause a problem when my insurance rates are higher because of the stupid shits who don't wear a seatbelt.

jakethebake
01-13-2005, 11:28 AM
When I was younger and they first started all this mandatory seatbelt crap, I stopped wearing them for awhile just because they told me I had to. That was years ago. I always wear them now. I'm just not the rebel I once was. *Sigh*

Joe Tall
01-13-2005, 11:40 AM
for some reason if i do end up sitting in the back i dont not wear it unless the driver requests it

Besides the passenger seat, you are in the 2nd most dangerous seat. Hope it doesn't take too long to repair your face once they pick the glass out of it.

turnipmonster
01-13-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They have fewer fatal accidents per capita i think but they also drive better.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are kidding, right?

Zoltri
01-13-2005, 11:47 AM
My question is why dont school buses have mandatory seatbelts. Makes no sense to me unless they have changed that recently. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

IsaacW
01-13-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My question is why dont school buses have mandatory seatbelts. Makes no sense to me unless they have changed that recently. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
It would be pretty hard for the driver to make sure that all the kids were wearing them all the time, and just having them "mandatory" would open up bus drivers and bus companies to all kinds of ridiculous lawsuits when some stupid kid gets hurt because he wasn't wearing his seat belt.

Besides, don't you remember being that age? Kids are made of rubber, accidents that would kill us don't affect them at all (more applicable on the ski slopes, but whatever) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nolanfan34
01-13-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Buses are specifically designed to be safe in a crash without a need for seat belts. It's why the seats are so high on school buses, it's supposed to compartmentalize each seat, and protect the kids in case of a crash. A couple of studies have shown I guess that seat belts on a bus can actually cause MORE injuries for young children in case of a bus accident.

This is an issue that was discussed last year in the Legislature here, which is how I heard this stuff.

Benjamin
01-13-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Buses are specifically designed to be safe in a crash without a need for seat belts. It's why the seats are so high on school buses, it's supposed to compartmentalize each seat, and protect the kids in case of a crash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Things must have changed since I was a bus-riding kid: I remember being 'compartmentalized' by an unpadded iron bar that formed the seatback of the seat in front. Kids may not have gone flying very far, but a face-full of iron was what would have prevented it. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

B.

jar
01-13-2005, 05:08 PM
My dad works for a school bus contractor. I'll ask him if he wants to post his answer. Basically, the driver can't see that all the kids have them on. The buses are designed to not need seatbelts. Also, a metal buckle on the end of a long strap makes quite the weapon for kids :P

IsaacW
01-13-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Buses are specifically designed to be safe in a crash without a need for seat belts. It's why the seats are so high on school buses, it's supposed to compartmentalize each seat, and protect the kids in case of a crash. A couple of studies have shown I guess that seat belts on a bus can actually cause MORE injuries for young children in case of a bus accident.

[/ QUOTE ]
See, you guys all care about whether the kids get hurt, while I just care about whether the bus company gets sued.

I am suck a dick /images/graemlins/smile.gif

david050173
01-13-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
See, you guys all care about whether the kids get hurt, while I just care about whether the bus company gets sued.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://slate.com/id/1002761/
Basically saving kids just isn't worth it /images/graemlins/grin.gif Adding seatbelts would add tons of responsibility to the driver (have to help buckle the kids in, unbuckle at stops), give the kids something hard to hit each other with, and with only 11 deaths a year, seat belts are not going to be saving a ton of lives.

nolanfan34
01-13-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, trust me, there are serious liability issues as well, no question. You're not a dick for thinking that.