PDA

View Full Version : Flopped set of ducks play

DJMaytag
01-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Curious what you think of the play here would be. I think i should have raised preflop and reraised more than the minimum, probably closer to what i bet on the turn.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($26.60)
SB ($14.95)
BB ($27.35)
UTG ($25.75)
MP ($13.35)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG calls $0.25, MP folds, Hero calls $0.25, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.45</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.9</font>, SB folds, BB calls $0.45.

Turn: ($2.80) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.5</font>, BB calls $4.50.

River: ($11.80) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20.95</font>, BB calls $15.95.

Final Pot: $53.70

DJMaytag
01-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Oh, i should also mention that I lost, hence the post to see if i could have done anything differently.

theredpill
01-13-2005, 07:16 AM
No , I probably would have done the same thing. What did he have Aces full of 7's , Queens full of 7's , or 4 of a kind 7's ? I guess that is about all of them. I lost my set of 5's tonight to a runner runner 4 of a kind if that is what happened. Hard to get away from that. Rainbow flop and not really any straights there. I probably would have figured I had the best hand.

Kaz The Original
01-13-2005, 07:20 AM
I am not sure why the idea of raising small pocket pairs preflop has gained so much popularity. Is this something in helmuths book?

Now, the min raise on the flop is pretty lame if you ask me. Raise more. This is follwed by a gross overbet on the turn. Kind of confusing. I would do the same thing preflop, and on the flop I would raised to atleast $3 or 4. Then on the turn I would be the full pot. When he bets into me on the river having shown this strength, I realize he could have A7... but I probably still raise.

TheWorstPlayer
01-13-2005, 07:38 AM
I don't think I raise an underboat on the river. And yes, raise more on the flop.

DJMaytag
01-13-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No , I probably would have done the same thing. What did he have Aces full of 7's , Queens full of 7's

[/ QUOTE ]

Close, he had 7's full of queens. I don't know why he called my reraise on 2nd pair on the flop, but i do understand his call on the river... he thought his two pair beat what he thought was my lone pair of aces. Of course he improves even more on the river to get a better FH than mine.

Knowing this now, i think the gross overbet should have occurred on the flop. I know that raising low pocket pairs isnn't the most popular thing, but considering that a few people at this table were limping with AA and KK, i think it might have been a good idea to raise, to at least see where i stood (if villian did have AA, he would have reraised preflop... probably...)

swolfe
01-13-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why he called my reraise on 2nd pair on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

because you didn't raise it high enough. you min-raised so that he only had to call $.45 into a $2.35 pot. i'd call that with 2nd pair hoping to hit two pair or trips if i was magically warped into his position after your raise.

DJMaytag
01-14-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why he called my reraise on 2nd pair on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

because you didn't raise it high enough. you min-raised so that he only had to call $.45 into a $2.35 pot. i'd call that with 2nd pair hoping to hit two pair or trips if i was magically warped into his position after your raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what would have been the right about? Bet the pot? Overbet the pot? I don't know at these stakes if it really would have mattered though, but just for future reference.

TheWorstPlayer
01-14-2005, 01:17 AM
It always matters for the times they don't hit their card. The bigger the raise that they call, the more money you get. The point of the raise is not to get them to fold, it is to get them to pay too much for their draw.