PDA

View Full Version : JJ pre-flop

illab
01-12-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm sorry if something along these lines has been addressed before but what are chances that no Ace, King, or Queen lands on the flop? A lot of people have told me not to raise with jacks pre-flop but I always made a decent raise with them espeicially in late position. I figure with less hands seeing the flop and maybe even one overcard I could still take down the pot. What are the lowest pocket pair most of you would raise with in a cash game or early in a tournament?

Cobra
01-12-2005, 10:04 PM
You have 50 cards left to choose the three cards to the flop. Twelve of those cards are A, K, or Q. Thirty eight cards are left.

Probability of no AKQ = combin(38,3)/combin(50,3) = 43.0%

gaming_mouse
01-12-2005, 10:13 PM
In a limit game, you always raise JJ PF. In a no limit game, you almost always do.

Chance that a flop comes with no A,Q,K, given that you are holding jacks, is:

(38/50)*(37/49)*(36/48)=0.430408163

So 43% of the time the flop is safe. Also note, however, that some of the 57% of the time the flop does come with an overcard it will also have J.

gm

EDIT: woops. i was thinking there were 16 overcards instead of 12 for some reason the first time. edited above.

illab
01-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention I only play no-limit. Would you guys suggest raising with tens? I do sometimes late in tournaments when players are tight and I have position.

gaming_mouse
01-12-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry I forgot to mention I only play no-limit. Would you guys suggest raising with tens? I do sometimes late in tournaments when players are tight and I have position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post this question in the "Pot Limit and No Limit" forum. You'll get much better answers there.

gm