PDA

View Full Version : AQ, did i play correctly

johnnybeef
01-12-2005, 09:20 PM
taken from early in the sng, i had no read on the guy besides the fact that he was the overwhelming chip leader very early in the tourney which led me to believe that he was someone who liked to gamble or he caught some hands. my assessment is perhaps i should have thrown away on the turn as i was out of position when the second

Hand #3976709-16 at SnG-0019l (No Limit Hold'em Sit and Go)
Powered by UltimateBet
Started at 12/Jan/05 20:11:31

xxKJHxx is at seat 0 with 945.
johnnybeef is at seat 1 with 995.
mactris01 is at seat 2 with 1875.
Slick Kipp is at seat 3 with 3205.
SHCAMMER is at seat 5 with 390.
MGOBLUE70 is at seat 6 with 770.
mattyv is at seat 8 with 865.
tyVets is at seat 9 with 955.
The button is at seat 0.

johnnybeef posts the small blind of 10.
mactris01 posts the big blind of 20.

xxKJHxx: -- --
johnnybeef: Ah Qc
mactris01: -- --
Slick Kipp: -- --
SHCAMMER: -- --
MGOBLUE70: -- --
mattyv: -- --
tyVets: -- --

Pre-flop:

Slick Kipp calls. SHCAMMER folds. MGOBLUE70 folds.
mattyv folds. tyVets folds. xxKJHxx folds.
johnnybeef raises to 80. mactris01 folds. Slick
Kipp calls.

Flop (board: Kd Ac Th):

johnnybeef bets 180. Slick Kipp calls.

Turn (board: Kd Ac Th 7d):

johnnybeef checks. Slick Kipp bets 90. johnnybeef
calls.

River (board: Kd Ac Th 7d Ts):

johnnybeef checks. Slick Kipp bets 275. johnnybeef
calls.

results will be posted later

bigredlemon
01-12-2005, 09:35 PM
I think you played it fine.

With no obvious draws on the flop except a gutshot straight draw, i would have bet 1/2 to 2/3rd the pot instead. Betting more than the pot screams you want everyone to fold, so I'd be alarmed by a smooth call here. With a large raise PF, he must put you on at least top pair. His call here suggest he can beat it.

Checking the turn is questionable. It's just inviting a bluff here. I'd bet maybe 150 knowing I'm probably behind to see what he does. Checking is fine though. His bet of 90 looks like it want a raise here so calling looks like the smart move.

The turn that pairs the board so you're probably even more behind now. The only thing you beat is AQ AJ or a complete bluff. A check here is good too since it'll induce a bet by a weaker hand. I'd call knowing i'm probably behind on the odd chance that I'm not, and to see what he had to bet the way he did. You still have 1/2 your stack left so you're not out of it yet.

johnnybeef
01-13-2005, 02:04 AM
any one else?

floppy
01-14-2005, 03:34 AM
I had a similar situation tonight:

blinds 10/20

player to my right min raises to 40
I call with AQs
3 other callers, 1 before the button, SB and BB after

Flop:

67Q rainbow

I bet pot (200)

player to my left calls, everyone else folds

Turn is a 2

I bet 150, just as lemon suggested

player calls

flop is a T

I check, other player checks.

He had Q7, which I only figure out after he calls the 150.

I wish there was a way to figure out that I'm up against two pair before that bet on the turn. Barring that, I'm trying to figure out if there's a profitable way to play AQ out of position. I told myself that I was going to just play this AQ for flush value, but then the flop came and I figured I had to play. Looking back, I guess I can take solace that the Q7 caller didn't get their implied odds.

Can AQ be played profitably? Should I dump it from early position? Or just be ready to dump it once I've played off almost half my stack? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Or do I simply check with TPTK, draws be damned?