PDA

View Full Version : Hourly Rate. Stop win vs. hourly expectation

kowboy
01-12-2005, 09:07 PM
It is said that the mark of a great poker player involves his win rate over a number of hours. I recently read that those who hit and run or stop win, will not become winning players. Im not sure if I agree. If I chose to play eight hours a day as my standard and played in a 20 40 game when does the win vs. loss kick in? Suppose i win 320 dollars in the first hour, this would give me my 8 hour expectation. If I quit now i have essentially played for 8 hours. Couldnt i take the next 7 hours off and have that count as hours played? Of course how much i lose will affect the outcome of my hourly rate. How many times have we been up 740, 1000 and then give it back? If i could have more 320 dollar nights than 320 losses would i come out ahead in the end. Now the smart ones will say it depends on the game your in who's in it and so on but for the purpose of arguement does the stop win have merit? /images/graemlins/spade.gif

tylerdurden
01-12-2005, 09:48 PM
you need to think of poker as one big session, not as lots of small 8-hour sessions. Quitting early is just postponing the inevitable.