PDA

View Full Version : Interesting NL $225 tourney hand at the Trop Sat

NajdorfDefense
01-12-2005, 07:38 PM
We are about slightly more than halfway thru the Trop NL $225 tourney. I have a good stack of exactly 19,900 chips after starting with 5k. Many players are solid, some calling stations, some obvious deer-in-headlights. [about 65-75 players left or less, top 18 pay, need to get 6 or higher for real $$$. ]
I am at Table 1 Seat 2, so all the extra players are getting moved to my table so it's constantly full of new players. Blinds are now 1k/2k, antes are probably 200.

I am in BB with 4d, 3d. Might have to play this one.
UTG raises to 4k. MP calls. SB folds. Okay, for $2k I'm in. Is this too loose? [comments, pls]

Flop comes 5d, 3c, 2d. Fireworks start going off in my head. I figure there's no way I'm not ahead in Equity at this point, if not outright.

I check. [yes/no/foolish?]
UTG raises 10k! MP can't fold fast enough. UTG hadn't been on my left for that long, but no way he min-raised with 22 or 55 is my edumacated guess.
I check UTG's stack and it looks bigger than mine, but I can't tell with all the pretty colors.

I re-raise all in after 5 seconds thought. The table is understandably surprised. [good, bad, Ugly?] I wouldn't mind a fold here, either.

UTG is directly next to me, I can feel his eyes on me, but I never look away from the flop.

After 45 seconds, he calls, which surprises me, because now I am certain he is behind. I mean dead-solid certain.

He calls, flips Kd Jd. Wow, what a call. Easy call?

Turn is Qs. No help there.

River is a Diamond. The lovely, lovely Ace of Diamonds. ClueBoy jumps up for a second and yells, before he realizes.

Dealers says 'Straight Flush...' and the entire crowd ooohed and aaahed. It was damn funny.

Then he says, you have me outchipped, and I'm all like, No way, dude.

Turns out he had 19,980. I win. HGHN.

After that I hit my high of 61k in chips before getting nothing but 96o and 74o for two hours.

Placed 15th in my first NL tourney. Happy about it too! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Naj

SossMan
01-12-2005, 07:58 PM
I fold preflop. chip stacks are not big enough to get the implied odds that you need.

I like the check raise all in on the flop.

He had to call based on the odds. He's getting like 7.5:1 on his call. Even if he just had his overcard outs, he has the odds to call. Now his 10k bet??? I would have just pushed.

sdplayerb
01-12-2005, 08:50 PM
I definitely call preflop. I push on the flop as your chips are just a little more than what is in the pot.

If i checked for some reason, i would definitely pushin or else call then push on any turn card.

betgo
01-12-2005, 10:24 PM
I like the call preflop.

On the flop, you have an open ended straight flush draw plus a pair. I like the checkraise allin. You could also lead at the flop, but you are not getting away from this hand and you would like to get all the money in or win the hand on the flop.

Your opponent also played it correctly. He had second flush draw and two big overcards and was pot committed to call your reraise.

Your opponent could have kept you out of the hand with a larger preflop raise. However, KJs is a good hand to miniraise with. You might get multiway action for a draw. The small raise also makes it easy to throw away if someone reraises with a real hand.

sdplayerb
01-12-2005, 10:29 PM
why do you think KJs is good to minraise with? In particular if you want multiway action for a draw, why not limp?

I do disagree though either way as the stack sizes are too small for implied odds, and there are antes, so it is raise or fold.

But would like to hear why a minraise? I still have just about never found a good reason to minraise.

betgo
01-12-2005, 10:44 PM
I am not crazy about the miniraise, but if you are going to do it this type of hand is a good one or AA or KK looking for action.

Sometimes a miniraise is good if you have between 10 and 20 BBs and a standard raise makes you too pot committed.

sdplayerb
01-12-2005, 10:50 PM
why is it good? you want everybody to fold to your raise right? and 3x makes it quite a bit more likely, right?

betgo
01-12-2005, 11:11 PM
If you have 12xBB and you raise 3xBB, you are getting almost 2-1 on your money to call a reraise allin, so you have sort of committed for your whole stack.

You don't necessarily want everyone to fold. With KJs, you don't mind seeing a flop and trying to win a big pot with a straight or flush. With a big pair, you want someone to reraise, so you can push.

Sometimes you can make loose small raises and easily fold to a reraise when you don't have anything and push to a reraise when you have a big hand.

sdplayerb
01-12-2005, 11:28 PM
well if they had a big pair preflop, they would have reraised you so you would be gone.
and the likelihood of flopping a str or flush, and the other person hitting is so small, getting 6x implied odds or so just doesn't come close to be valuable enough. i think.