PDA

View Full Version : 88 from the BB

Evan
01-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Live 10/20 at Borgata

CO plays generally well. Too aggressive preflop and too passive postflop but definitely the one guy in the game that I would not gladly play HU. I've heard him say "Sklansky".

SB sucks.

In in BB with 88 (suits don't matter)

Folded to CO who raises, SB calls, I call.

Flop: 975

SB checks, I check, CO bets, SB calls, I call

Turn: 2

SB checks, I check, CO checks

River: 4

SB checks, I bet planning to call a raise from the CO (SB will raise here like never).

I think every street is debatable. Go for it.

private joker
01-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Check-raise the flop and lead the turn. He's blind-stealing here with any two cards and you have second pair and a gutshot. If CO had raised UTG, I'd give him credit for a possible overpair and do the check-call/check-call/bet line. But in this scenario, I prefer more aggression before the river.

pokerjo22
01-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Given the CO is probably stealing and the SB could have anything...

I'm not sure I'd 3 bet preflop, but I'm a wuss, and I'd prefer to see what the flop brings.

However, given the favorable flop of all low cards, I think you've got to raise the flop because you likely have the best hand. Using the same logic, I'd bet the turn and the river. What was your reason for playing so passively?

Jonny Melon
01-12-2005, 07:40 PM
I would bet out on the flop. CO is likely behind, but will often still raise w/ overcards, and blow SB out. (If he's a bit passive and calls, a bettor and a caller may be enough to chase SB off) I'd be thinking about hand protection here, since you most likely have a very vulnerable best hand. What is the reasoning behind check-calling the flop?

Jon

SkiGuyGT
01-12-2005, 08:01 PM
I'd probably bet out on the flop, then 3 bet if CO raises, then bet turn.

Vern
01-12-2005, 08:05 PM
PJ,

If you think he is blind stealing, what about a pre-flop raise? I struggle with blind defense more than anything. Doesn't the likelihood that he is blind stealing (wide range of raising hands) and the SB, a weak player, still being in the pot mean this is a place to play back before the flop since my hand is so strong compared to the likely holdings of my opponents?

Vern

private joker
01-12-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PJ,

If you think he is blind stealing, what about a pre-flop raise? I struggle with blind defense more than anything. Doesn't the likelihood that he is blind stealing (wide range of raising hands) and the SB, a weak player, still being in the pot mean this is a place to play back before the flop since my hand is so strong compared to the likely holdings of my opponents?

Vern

[/ QUOTE ]

Most definitely, and 3-betting PF here is an option. I think it's pretty thin either way, though, because I also like the option of waiting for a relatively safe flop before doing stuff like c/r-trapping, etc. 88 is about the cutoff, though. TT and up I'd 3-bet, 99 I'd probably 3-bet but maybe call. 22-55 I'd probably fold, and 66-77 are meh.

With 88, you'll flop at least one overcard most of the time, and often 2 overcards. If you get a flop like AQ3, you can safely check-fold. If you get a flop like J52, you can bet out and take it from there. If you get a low coordinated flop like this, then you can start getting aggressive.

cpk
01-12-2005, 09:07 PM
If my postflop play were better, I would consider just calling the raise so I could trap him. But I hear The Hulk in my ear when people steal my blinds too much, and when I get a hand as good as 88, I tend to say "Hulk Smash." If the SB is awful as you say, I also want to punish him.

The problem with delaying the punishment is that you have a lot of difficulty knowing where you are vs. a steal. You know, however, that he steals with crap, so you know you're probably ahead preflop. Time to get your money in when you have the best of it. That's the way I see it.

Leading the flop to blow out the SB is a good play. Check-call flop intending to lead out the turn might be fun, too, especially if the SB wakes up with a check-raise (in which case you might exit stage right). You could even check-raise the flop, hoping CO will 3-bet and putting the squeeze on SB. You have lots of options. But I think you need to show more aggression at least somewhere in this hand.

cpk
01-12-2005, 09:10 PM
With 88, you'll flop at least one overcard most of the time, and often 2 overcards. If you get a flop like AQ3, you can safely check-fold.

I think this is dreadfully wrong against someone who steals too much. The goal, however, is to get the SB out somehow so you can run an overaggressive CO down. This might be difficult if you 3-bet preflop. This is the only reason I might not. Heads-up, I'm going to spray a lot of chips preflop.

Even garbage hands outrun 88 occasionally, but running down what could potentially be anything is way +EV. The real task is to get rid of SB somehow.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-12-2005, 09:13 PM
I would bet/3-bet this flop and lead the turn.

edtost
01-12-2005, 09:38 PM
i like a 3bet preflop, lead the flop, and go from there.

scrub
01-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Lead out or checkraise the flop.

I'd lean towards leading out, particularly if you think the stealer will raise with overcards.

scrub