PDA

View Full Version : A with J kicker reraised?

GlemZurg
01-12-2005, 06:39 PM
I had just sat down at this table and didn't know UTG+1.

Any help on this hand would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: GlemZurg is UTG with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
GlemZurg calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">GlemZurg bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP3 folds, SB folds, BB folds, GlemZurg calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
GlemZurg checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, GlemZurg ???

<font color="green">Is this a call or a fold?

Calling here and the river would be 2BB for a 6BB pot. Will I win this over 1/3 the time?

I'm thinking "no" since the flop re-raise says "I'm not scared of an A which would either be a better kicker or better.

How would you play this hand?</font>

Chuckles1248
01-12-2005, 06:44 PM
I would have 3-bet the flop and lead out the turn. I don't think you really have much to worry about as far as kicker is concerned, though he might have 2-pair.

Just calling his raise then checking the turn, you might consider check-raising, as I think you are probably ahead in this hand.

J.R.
01-12-2005, 06:45 PM
I'd raise preflop.

I am not folding, I'd call the turn and (often) lead the river (something I would be less inclined to do in a 2-4 game, I think, but more inclined to do as the games get more aggressive if I did not put in a raise somewhere else), otherwise check-calling the river absent improvement. You'll see AT and other worse aces often enough to make up for the two pair, sets or the unlikely A w/ a better kicker.

Brian462
01-12-2005, 06:46 PM
I would call down and expect to be ahead most of the time here.

I would probably 3-bet the flop also.

J.R.
01-12-2005, 06:47 PM
what hands call you down that you want to call you down, and what hands fold that you want to fold, and what hands cap the flop and/or 3-bet a turn check-raise that you want to have pop you postflop?

Do worse aces raise the flop enough in a prty 2-4 game? I dunno, that's why I am asking.

GuyOnTilt
01-12-2005, 06:48 PM
I haven't been in here in a while, but I sure hope you guys haven't decided to limp with AJo UTG at the PP 2/4. As for the turn action:

Is this a call or a fold?

Neither.

I'm thinking "no" since the flop re-raise says "I'm not scared of an A which would either be a better kicker or better.

Don't even let the though of a better kicker go through your mind here. AQ and AK will raise PF almost always. Given the action thus far, your J kicker is good. Freaking raise! You could also 3-bet the flop and continue to bet the turn and river, but I like your decision to smooth call the flop and check-raise the turn. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Seriously though, it sounds like you're much too passive in your thought process, always afraid you're beat, etc. Learn to be more aggressive and more assertive. You're ahead here until your opponent tells you you're not, and one measly little flop raise shouldn't be enough to convince you, esp. given your lack of PF raise.

Raise PF. Bet and call the flop. Check and raise the turn. Bet the river.

GoT

Lost Wages
01-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Your terminology is off a bit. On the flop, you bet and he raised. There is no re-raise. A re-raise is when someone raises a raise.

Anyway, If he had AA/AK/AQ he likely would have raised before the flop so the only (likely) hands you are behind are A3/A6/33/66. Against A3/A6 you have outs. If he had 33/66 he probably would have slowplayed rather than confront the entire field with having to call 2 bets cold. Even A3/A6 might slowplay (incorrectly). In other words, you are not folding this hand at any point.

IMO your best line is 3-bet the flop and lead the turn. You alternatives are call the flop raise and lead or checkraise the turn.

Lost Wages

colgin
01-12-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do worse aces raise the flop enough in a prty 2-4 game? I dunno, that's why I am asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any Ace will raise this flop in a typical Party $2/4 game if there was no pre-flop raise. Hero should either three-bet the flop here or check-raise the turn. He will regulalry get paid off by a worse Ace.

private joker
01-12-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. First of all, he didn't re-raise the flop, he just raised it. You were the one who refused to re-raise it (which is probably correct, but a re-raise wouldn't have been terrible). Secondly, he could have something like 45 for the flopped OESD, something most people raise with in position (he had 3 players before him and two after, so he might have done well to just call with his OESD if he had one), but still -- don't assume he automatically has a monster because he raised the flop.

If you had just raised PF, the entire hand would play out differently and you'd have a much better idea where you were.

I like JR's plan of calling the turn and leading the river.

private joker
01-12-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

IMO your best line is 3-bet preflop and lead the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your terminology is off a bit. He can't 3-bet preflop because he open-limped. He could 3-bet the flop, though. /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lost Wages
01-12-2005, 07:16 PM
/images/graemlins/blush.gif Thanks, fixed it.

Lost Wages

GuyOnTilt
01-12-2005, 07:28 PM
I really, really think you guys are being too passive here.

GoT

Jonny Melon
01-12-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this a call or a fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

The question to ask is: Should I bet out or check-raise?

You weren't re-raised on the flop. You were raised on the flop. Which could mean a whole lot of worse hands that your opponent is trying to protect. Remember: You didn't raise pre-flop, so your opponent isn't putting you on a strong A here.

private joker
01-12-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really, really think you guys are being too passive here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably. I did say 3-betting the flop was a decent option. But it's really hard to say because of the PF open-limp. Seeing how Villain reacted to an open-raise would make his hand so much easier to read.