PDA

View Full Version : Pop him, let him bluff, or is he even bluffing?

PokerNoob
01-12-2005, 05:12 PM
I have trouble with the stop and go. Or maybe I'm playing it right. Opponent is a 40/10 with flop/turn/river agg factor of 3.3/5.25/2.3.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.20 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.20 BB

By the time the turn rolls around, I'm willing to give him credit for an ace, two spades, or a medium pocket. If its an ace, its either got a better kicker, or a decent chance its paired if lower. I'm not sure I want to get three bet. If he's caught some other bit of the flop or is bluffing, I'd like for him to keep on betting, representing the ace, or whatever he's doing. I don't think he's betting merely a lone high spade at this point, but that's a pretty high agg factor. For those that pop the turn, do you call the three bet and call any river? On the river, I'm pretty sure I'll only get called or 3-bet if I'm beat, so I'm not sure a raise is correct here either.

Grisgra
01-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Against agg-factors like that, I think this is fine. I think it's fine in general, in fact.

rory
01-12-2005, 05:50 PM
He is either bluffing and you are ahead on the turn or he is not bluffing and you are way behind. There is no point in raising-- if he is semi-bluffing or balls out bluffing the turn then he is going to bet any river, so you collect your two bets that way.

I see people make this mistake all the time. Here is the rule, everyone:

If you are heads up and you think your opponent is semi-bluffing the turn on a draw, do not raise. Just call and let him bluff the river too. If you raise, he will call that and either raise you or bet out or somehow collect another bet at least on the river when he hits, so you lose at least three when he hits. However if he misses you will not collect any more bets from him.

Just calling you win two when you are good and lose two when you are no good or your opponent gets there.

JasonP530
01-13-2005, 02:11 AM
I like your line. If he was a little more maniacal with the raising and/or you had a higher spade, I would say raise the turn, call his three bet and call the river. You dont always have to know where you are to raise, if the opponent is crazy.

Alobar
01-13-2005, 02:16 AM
I fold preflop

Irishboy
01-13-2005, 02:19 AM
1. fold pre-flop
2. pop him on the turn, the 2 of spades did not help his hand, if it gave him a set, straight, flush, or 2pair, he would check-raise you on the turn. Even the worst players will check-raise you on the turn when they make 2-pair or better.
I raise in this situation on a regular basis and I would guess at least 80% of the time I'm ahead. If you get 3-bet on the turn, you can seriously think about laying it down...but call down anyway.