PDA

View Full Version : Game Theory Books

Fat Nicky
01-12-2005, 02:13 PM
What's the best book for learning game theory????

jakethebake
01-12-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the best book for learning game theory????

[/ QUOTE ]
There have been a number of threads on this. I'd use the search funtion for this one not because I'm being a smart ass but because there have been quite a few extensive threads with a number of good recommendations that I can't recall offhand. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fat Nicky
01-12-2005, 02:34 PM
No offense taken. I deserved that because i'm a lazy A$$. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

moranimal
01-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Yeah, use the search function.

That guy
01-13-2005, 11:50 AM
if you find a good link, can you post it here...
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

turnipmonster
01-13-2005, 02:25 PM
I recommend "game theory and strategy" by phillip straffin.

k8as8ey
01-13-2005, 03:04 PM
How interested are you and how deep do you want to get into it? It's kind of like asking someone to tell you about Superstring Theory. For a basic overview, Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe" or "The Fabric of the Cosmos" will do fine. Otherwise you need to take a graduate level course. As far as game theory, read Mason's book "Gambling Theory and Other Topics". To learn the math, look into a local college that offers a course. It can get very deep and very complex in a hurry.

Filet O' Fish
01-13-2005, 03:15 PM
When I first read Theory Of Poker by Sklansky, I was fascinated with the relatively small part of the book that dealt with game theory. I immediately was on a mission to find any books that dealt with game theory AND poker. I soon found out that there just weren't many that combined the two and the few I found on just game theory were way over my head. I found one book titled "Poker Strategy Winning With Game Theory" by Nesmith C. Ankeny and although excellent, dealt primarily with draw poker. In my opinion, there are so many other concepts that demand study to become great at poker before worrying about game theory. I think alot of this has to do with the fact that game theory assumes your opponents are playing correctly, and depending on what limits you play most do not.

Lost Wages
01-13-2005, 03:51 PM
This is great reading and the price can't be beat. Link. (http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~jonathan/Grad/papp/thesis.html)

Lost Wages