PDA

View Full Version : Why is Stud not played no limit?

mauisupaman
01-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Stud players, why is stud not played in a no limit or pot limit structure?
Thanks,
Adam

Runner Runner
01-12-2005, 03:15 PM
There is very little action in a NL or PL stud game. Good players will charge the drawing hands full price and drawing to flushes and straights will kill you in this game since you have to pay for every single card.

MRBAA
01-12-2005, 03:49 PM
I've heard these types of rationales, but I'm not sure why. Could be that seeing so much of your hand on the flop makes HE a better no limit game, whereas the card-by-card (with an extra street to boot) nature of stud makes it prohibitive to play draws. I have read about pot limit stud games in England (where they play much more pot limit than here).

AdamK
01-12-2005, 03:52 PM
There's still a few pot-limit stud games in the UK.
Obviously not as many as in the days before Omaha & Holdem.
It is a dying game ( probably been dying for over 10 years now).
A shame.. i think it's a great game.
It's as legitimate as any other form of poker.

7stud
01-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Good players will charge the drawing hands full price and drawing to flushes and straights will kill you in this game since you have to pay for every single card.

That would seem to apply to no limit HE as well. It seems to me, a no limit stud player could recieve odds from multiple players in the pot just like in no limit HE, and the no limit stud player can have high implied odds, i.e. potentially the other player's whole stack, just like in HE.

Czech_Razor
01-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Obviously there's no reason why stud can't be played PL or NL. Reuben & Ciaffone have a chapter on it.

Your question got me thinking, and I came up with this cock-and-bull explanation of why big bet stud is unpopular: The charm of limit stud to the inferior player is that limit stud has a higher "suck out factor" than the community card games, which means it takes an inferior player longer to go broke at limit stud than at other games. Switching to big bet kills the suck out factor, fish fry, and the game dies.

Just a thought, though.

GAL
01-14-2005, 04:18 PM
PL and NL sud games are available on 32 reds site. The NL tends to descend into a bit of a crap shoot but the PL is very good, just make sure you don't go overboard when leading with big pairs without a straight or flush draw

Al Mirpuri
01-15-2005, 10:00 AM
www.gamingclubpoker.com (http://www.gamingclubpoker.com) has pot limit and no limit seven card stud as well as pot limit and no limit five card stud.

Spook
01-15-2005, 10:15 AM
It isn't popular because it isn't on TV. NL Hold'em cash games used to be almost none existant before the tv boom.

blank frank
01-15-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Could be that seeing so much of your hand on the flop makes HE a better no limit game, whereas the card-by-card (with an extra street to boot) nature of stud makes it prohibitive to play draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe these sort of rationales where the reason behind Mississippi Stud, where the second betting round is dropped. So it's two down/one up, bet, two up, bet, one up, bet, one down, bet, showdown. That way you get to see five cards before having to make your second bet.

SlowStroke
01-15-2005, 12:10 PM
I've never tried it, but I'm told that 5-Card Stud makes for a very interesting No-Limit game.