PDA

View Full Version : Another PLO hand

schwah
01-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Party $100 PLO tables, I just sat down. Table seems to be the usual loose/passive but i dont have any reads on specific players. I'm $100 deep and most people have me covered.

I get A/images/graemlins/spade.gifA/images/graemlins/heart.gifK/images/graemlins/spade.gifJ/images/graemlins/heart.gif in the SB. EP player minraises and there are several (5? 6?) calls to me. i pot it for $34. To my suprise, two people call.

Flop is 2/images/graemlins/club.gif4/images/graemlins/spade.gif8/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I go all in.

Obviously I have a VERY strong hand preflop. However I'm out of position. Is there any arguement for just calling and looking at a flop in a big multiway pot when you're out of position here? What if I was significantly deeper ($200? $300?)

On the flop I have an overpair and two backdoor nut flush draws. The pot is $100 and I have $66 left in my stack. Is this an easy push? If so, how deep do I need to be before it's correct to play it differently?

rickofcampbell
01-12-2005, 02:24 PM
It is better to have a huge hand than position IMO. You get a hand like this about once a week if you play part time so why not go for it.

Reraising before the flop and betting this ragged flop is the standard play.

If the money is deep and you are on a short bankroll, you can consider other plays...but not here.

Jofer
01-12-2005, 03:36 PM
I agree with rick, if oyu're not gonna raise a monster DS As like that, what are you gonna raise, and on the flop you're getting great money odds with what one would have to believe is the best hand. Push and watch them fold, or since it's party, watch them call and outdraw you....

gergery
01-12-2005, 05:42 PM
I play it the same. But I’d expect 1-3 callers preflop, and I’d expect 1 or more to go to showdown with you, from my experiences playing the Party $100 tables.

Note your preflop jam makes it obvious you have AA, and obvious you will push the flop given pot and stack sizes. So you are really offering 3:1 odds here for someone to try and bust you. And if they catch something as small as one pair on the flop they will just about have pot odds to call your allin.

For some simple math: they’ll catch 1 pair around 65% of the time and two pair or set around 30% of the time, so vs. 1 preflop caller you would expect your flop push to get called around 66% of the time, and overall expect to win the hand maybe 55% of the time. Obviously, you can adjust for flush/scarecards, whether you push every flop, whether you must have AA if raising etc, but the basic idea is that its likely correct for them to call you with surprising bad hands, and they’ll win more often than you’d think.

But your line is EV+, although with higher variance, and I think higher EV than just calling preflop – but its probably close.

--Greg