PDA

View Full Version : Party table selection

matt hooley
01-12-2005, 01:21 PM
I just made the move to Party from .25/.5 Paradise and bought PT, so forgive my newbiness.

My question is, with no "% players seeing flop" statistic built into the software how do you all go about selecting loose tables? I've found over the past few days that selecting random tables with large average pot size (the only available statistic) yields generally tight tables with a lot of pre-flop aggression, (although there are still some fish).
How do you find the loose action?

Octopus
01-12-2005, 01:42 PM
1. The largest pot size tables generally got that way from players who left half an hour ago. The table probably now has mostly people like you looking for loose players.

2. Best advice: create and maintain a buddy list of people you'd most like to sit just left of and search for those players when you log on.

3. Alterante plan: When you log on, open up 4 tables (or 8 or 12 if you have accounts on party skins) and let pokertracker watch them for a while. Then you can join the loosest one(s).

jaxUp
01-12-2005, 01:46 PM
I think the large pot tables are a good place to start. LAGs seem to like to congregate there, especially in primetime. Play a while at these tables. Find any super-lags and fish and add them to your buddy-list. The loose action tends to follow these players around. Good luck.

crockett
01-12-2005, 01:47 PM
After playing A LOT of hands at 0.5/1 Party I finally settled at the following method.

Login. Get PT auto-importing hands. Open GT+. Search for any players on my Buddy List (VP$IP>60 Hands>60). If there are any buddies around, I join the waiting list for the table they are at.

Next, find a table with 9 players, select join wait list, select next availabe table with 9 or more players. Sit down when the table opens and check for wait for the blinds. Repeat.

This usually works just fine. If I find out that I have somehow ended up at a table that is very tight, GT+ will quickly tell me that and I'll just jump off. Frankly, I don't even care about pot size anymore. The weak tight passives are just fine with me, the money comes in slower but the variance is less. Sure I prefer LAGs but I'll take the weak passives just fine. Of course if a table is uber tight this is no fun as well and I'll leave.

I gave up trying to sign up for the "highest pot" sizes. The waits are always like 5-15 deep and guess who is there by the time your number is called. After 10's thousands of hands at 0.5/1 I like my method. But this is just one of many I'm sure.

GrunchCan
01-12-2005, 01:49 PM
This is how I'm doing it now:

Assuming nobody is available on my buddy list, I'll sit at the first available table with 9 players. I'll let PP pick the table for me. I'll play for 1-2 full orbits, and see how many players to the flop on average. If there are 4 or less after 1 orbit, I'm gone. If after 2 orbits there's 5, then I'll stick around if I feel there's a couple people who I can manipulate, otherwise I'm gone.

I continue this pattern until I've found as many tables I want. It could take some time indeed. Some sessions I never get more than 15 hands in at 1 table, becasue everybody is sooooo tight.

royaltrux
01-12-2005, 02:41 PM
To get table percentages in party the easiest way I have found is the following:

Open up four tables with ten people and observe hands for half an hour (automatically with PT) then open up GT+ on each of the tables and in the middle upper part of the party screen you will see the $VPIP and other statistics for the table as a whole.

I love those 40+% tables.

crockett
01-12-2005, 03:13 PM
I take it you go through the steps of identifying a player at each table and reconfiguring that in GT+?

The current version of GT+ won't put a table in the selection list until you have actually played a hand at that table.

Do you another way to do it quicker?

Marquis
01-12-2005, 03:34 PM
I agree with Grunch. I just sit down at the tables with the high pot averages and start playing. If I don't like the table after an orbit or two, I leave. They're all pretty juicy anyway, and if I'm spending a ton of time table hunting, I'm losing money by not playing.

Marquis
01-12-2005, 03:37 PM
GT+ table averages are weighted, unless he changed it. And he should change it if he hasn't.

royaltrux
01-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Unfortunately no there's not a quicker way that I know of, but it takes an extra minute or two.

matt hooley
01-12-2005, 11:14 PM
what is GT+ and where can I get it?