PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone explain the overall odds of a bad beat occuring?

KubrickFan
01-12-2005, 01:12 PM
I was trying to figure the odds of a bad beat being dealt at a table and realized i didn't really even know where to begin. Has anyone taken the time to figure this out. I was looking specifically at Party's bad beat which is quad 8's beat. Anyone have anything for me?

K C
01-12-2005, 02:30 PM
A bad beat simply means you're the favorite and lost. That happens all the time. Some people tend to get bent out of shape too easily, since they feel entitled to win their 70 and 80% favored hands. The other 20 or 30% does come up though, and a fair bit.

Losing with quads though is a different story. You can go a pretty long time and not lose a hand this strong. It does happen of course, but it's pretty rare. Not high enough to worry about to be sure. If you get a hand like this, of course you're going to want to go all out with it, and if you get beat, as Doyle would say, you're just going to have to pay them off.

KC

jtr
01-12-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some people tend to get bent out of shape too easily, since they feel entitled to win their 70 and 80% favored hands. The other 20 or 30% does come up though, and a fair bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, I hear they come up as much as 20-30% of the time.

(Don't mind me KC, just being an ass -- good post.)