PDA

View Full Version : Headhunters

quadzilla
01-12-2005, 01:08 PM
I am a recruiter in Chicago that places guys in engineering, manufacturing, and production. I am curious if anyone else on this board is in the staffing game and how business is looking for you right now. I was busier in November and December than I have been in three years. Since the holidays things have really seemed to slow down.

This year should be really good but, I am curious what other people are seeing. If you are looking for a job are you seeing a lot of activity?

Thanks for any input.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-12-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm not in staffing, but I'm an aerospace engineer working for a consulting company. This is traditionally our slowest time of the year. This year and last year, however, have had no slow times and we've been as busy as any other time.

turnipmonster
01-12-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but I'm an aerospace engineer

[/ QUOTE ]

rocket scientist sounds much better.

--turnipmonster

Sponger15SB
01-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Now every time Patrick does something dumb, I'm gonna say "well its not like it is rocket science!!!"

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-12-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now every time Patrick does something dumb, I'm gonna say "well its not like it is rocket science!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you wouldn't be surprised how much I get that, given my penchant for doing dumb things and the fact that I am of course a rocket scientist.

SossMan
01-12-2005, 01:51 PM
dude, he just said penchant.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Would you prefer:
bent, disposition, inclination, inclining, predilection, predisposition, proclivity, propensity, or tendency?

edit: I also apologize to the OP for the threadjacking - it wasn't on purpose, honest.

Shajen
01-12-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]..without following it up with "for midget hookers who shave his testicles.

I am indeed impressed.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-12-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]..without following it up with "for midget hookers who shave his testicles.

I am indeed impressed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it isn't exactly rocket science.

Shajen
01-12-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I am indeed impressed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it isn't exactly rocket science.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this allowed? Judges?

*DING* Fair enough, I'll allow it.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cardcounter0
01-12-2005, 02:18 PM
I am in the IT sector, and I have had the exact same observations. Seems every one was trying to get things in place towards the end of the year for next year, instead of waiting until the last minute. Now it is a little slower, I guess they need to digest the year end binge for a little bit. Still worried, the upcoming rise in interest rates could put the big freeze on everything again.

Shajen
01-12-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am in the IT sector, and I have had the exact same observations. Seems every one was trying to get things in place towards the end of the year for next year, instead of waiting until the last minute. Now it is a little slower, I guess they need to digest the year end binge for a little bit. Still worried, the upcoming rise in interest rates could put the big freeze on everything again.

[/ QUOTE ]

where do you live? I'm in IT and we were really slow at the end of the year but it's picking up steam fast.

I work on VOIP and routing switching, I'm sure in other areas like programming it may very well be slow. I live in Atlanta. It's busy. Job security /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Q8offsuit
01-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Yes, Herbie Hancock's landmark jazz-fusion album "Headhunters" is pretty damn good. I'm listening to "Vein Melter" right now.

cardcounter0
01-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Makes sense. There is a push to build the infrastructure, so your field and DBAs, etc. should be busy. I am in the Application Development side, and programmers / design / development / project management type of positions were heavily staffed at year end.

Stork
01-12-2005, 05:59 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about the Herbie Hancock album /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-12-2005, 09:18 PM
I design and test giant robo-warriors that can fly.

daveymck
01-12-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in IT too but in the Uk (and europe too), some bigger companies are starting to spend again so there seems to be a lot of work around at the moment, agencies I am speaking too reckon its going to be a really good year.

Edit most consultencies seem to be recruiting heavily as well which suggests good pipeline ahead.