PDA

View Full Version : Compensation for Poker Book Authors

pipes
01-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Just curious, but would anyone have an educated guess
about how well they are compensated? (Although I'm sure
there are folks on here with more than an educated guess...lol)

For this question, we can focus on non 2+2 books.

What about a popular non 2+2 book like WWLLH by Jones? Or maybe a more obscure one like Winning Omaha Hi/Lo by Capelletti?

benfranklin
01-12-2005, 03:01 PM
The standard practice in the publishing industry is to pay authors royalties, a percentage based on sales. There are general guidelines, but each agreement can be different. Certainly, an established author will get a better deal than a first-timer. In the olden days, a best-selling novelist would get 15% of cover price on actual books sold. The percentage would be less, say 7.5% to 10%, on the paperback edition.

Details vary greatly. Traditionally, royalties were based on cover price, but in an age of heavy discounting, the movement is toward something like a percentage of the publisher's wholesale price.

Also, authors are generally given an advance against royalties. They get nothing additional until the earned royalties reach the amount of the advance, then the author starts getting additional payments. If they never get that high, then the author gets to keep the advance and doesn't get anything else.

People like Hillary Clinton get huge advances, and it is unlikely that her book will ever sell enough to "earn out". She keeps the advance, and the publisher is happy with the publicity. A good author with a first-time book might get a $5000 advance from a big publisher, or nothing from a small one, and have to earn all of his royalties. It's all negotiable.

Mason Malmuth
01-12-2005, 03:25 PM
Hi Ben:
We pay much better royalties than the industry standard. We also do not pay advances.

For those of you out there who are interested in writing a book for us, we need to see a completed manuscript before we can make a decision.

Best wishes,
Mason

AngryCola
01-12-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For those of you out there who are interested in writing a book for us, we need to see a completed manuscript before we can make a decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn.
I was hoping to get some money up front for my book idea:

The Fundamentals of the 2+2 Forums and Other Topics

jakethebake
01-12-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Damn.
I was hoping to get some money up front for my book idea:

The Fundamentals of the 2+2 Forums and Other Topics

[/ QUOTE ]

My idea was:

ThaSaltCracka Story: On the Road to 10,000 Posts

AngryCola
01-12-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My idea was:

TheSaltCracka Story: On the Road to 10,000 Posts

[/ QUOTE ]

It will never work.
Where's the audience for such a book?

benfranklin
01-12-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My idea was:

TheSaltCracka Story: On the Road to 10,000 Posts

[/ QUOTE ]

It will never work.
Where's the audience for such a book?

[/ QUOTE ]

Judging by the recent enthusiastic posts of his fan club, all 8 of them would buy about 100 copies each.

AngryCola
01-12-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Judging by the recent enthusiastic posts of his fan club

[/ QUOTE ]

I was one of them. So was El Diablo.

I still like my book idea better. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
01-12-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Judging by the recent enthusiastic posts of his fan club, all 8 of them would buy about 100 copies each.

[/ QUOTE ]
His 10K thread did get 1400+ views & 80+ responses pretty quickly. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

yeltzen
01-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Do you and your boys destroy the reputation of competing authors from other publishing companies for free, or is the charge taken out of the royalties?

Mason Malmuth
01-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Hi Boris:

You're obviously not familiar with my published reviews. If you were, you would know that I have given many good reviews to non-Two Plus Two authors.

Best wishes,
Mason