View Full Version : Bubble Agression with AT

Myst
01-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Party $50+5, Blinds 250/500, 4 handed.

Hero: 2000 Chips
Button: 4700 chips
SB: ~700 chips
BB: 2600 chips

I get AT in EP. Is this supposed to be an auto push with the blinds this high? Or am I supposed to fold and play the waiitng game for the SB to bust out, because he'll only have 450 chips after this hand.

Myst
01-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Bump.

ColdestCall
01-12-2005, 12:59 PM
I would push. Button and BB wont call without premium hands, SB may well call with a worse hand. You are about to blind off a very large part of your stack.

spentrent
I'd push in that situation because I'm ONLY worried about the small stack. The big blind is facing the same decision -- "do I call his all-in with my AT and risk falling OOTM when the short stack is on the verge of going broke?" Meanwhile the chip leader is outside smoking a cigarette...

The small stack should call your bet with a much larger range than you would push with, while the big blind could convince himself to fold ANY two. I wouldn't think twice.

EDIT: I might do the same thing without having seen my cards...

emil3000
I push with that, but I am starting to think that I am too much of a maniac, so I'd be interested to hear other people's thought.

zaphod
01-12-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or am I supposed to fold and play the waiitng game for the SB to bust out, because he'll only have 450 chips after this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

He might have doubled up if you dont push here..

I would push.
I hate to sit around waiting for the small stack to go away, only to find out that he double up, and then suddenly you are the one in trouble..

RobGW
01-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Assuming the SB will fold he will only have $450 in chips. What if he pushes and doubles up? Push this. 4 handed you most likely have the best hand. Consider your opponents here. On the bubble, with SB about to bust out, what would they need to call your push with? This is the best time to steal some blinds.

stillnotking
01-12-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party $50+5, Blinds 250/500, 4 handed.

Hero: 2000 Chips
Button: 4700 chips
SB: ~700 chips
BB: 2600 chips

I get AT in EP. Is this supposed to be an auto push with the blinds this high? Or am I supposed to fold and play the waiitng game for the SB to bust out, because he'll only have 450 chips after this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a perfect example of the type of hand that most low-buyin SNGers play absolutely wrong. You MUST push with this hand. Trying to play a waiting game, with the blinds this high, is a terrible idea. The fact that the BB only just has you covered makes it an even better push, since he will likely only call with a good hand.

By the way, ATo is not anywhere near the lower edge of push hands in this spot.

YourFoxyGrandma
01-12-2005, 01:14 PM
I like a push. You have added fold equity with the other players awaiting the short stack dropping out.

Myst
01-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Im glad I pushed then :P I only questioned myself because the big stack called with AK.

YourFoxyGrandma
01-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Unlucky. Don't beat yourself up over it.

rickr
01-13-2005, 11:40 AM
I've lost the last 15 tourney's this way. I've been the big stack when it get's down to 4, only to double the small stacks up and knocking myself out. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Everytime I try an push someone, one of the other 2 will call, most the time with lesser hands, and nail me. I'm starting to think with a big stack between, it's a fold. Let the others in position take them on. I know this is wrong, but man.

Later,
Rick

YourFoxyGrandma
01-13-2005, 12:16 PM
It sounds like your pushing requirements are either too loose or you're doing it at the wrong times. AT running into AK really is unlucky 4-handed and to believe that this has happened to you 15 times in a row...dude...there has to be something up.

Scuba Chuck
01-13-2005, 04:04 PM
You push for two reasons:

1) AT is a strong hand 4 handed
2) Waiting for the small stack to go out is a likely -750 chip scenario

If you just raise 2xBB and the Big stack reraises you, then what? You push, which you might as well have done at first, or you fold, which means you'll be left to lesser calling hands likely as you're the BB and SB in the next two hands.

Here is the issue:
If I fold, I increase my chances of being ITM, but lessen my chances of finishing first I think the way you feel about this answer should define your decision.

stillnotking
01-13-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've lost the last 15 tourney's this way. I've been the big stack when it get's down to 4, only to double the small stacks up and knocking myself out. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Everytime I try an push someone, one of the other 2 will call, most the time with lesser hands, and nail me. I'm starting to think with a big stack between, it's a fold. Let the others in position take them on. I know this is wrong, but man.

Later,
Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

It happens. I was on the bubble with the big stack in a tournament last night. First I pushed AT, got called by AJ and lost; then an A7 pushed into my AQ, I called and lost. 4th place. That's poker. In the long run, aggression will serve you well.

rickr
01-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Don't think I'm too loose, but obviously picked the wrong time. lol . I'm talking AQ, AK, 99, TT, AJ. In the vast majority of these as of late I got in as the favorite, only to be drawn out on. I know it sounds crazy, but I'd say it's just a streak.

Later,
Rick