PDA

View Full Version : What is a Stop and Go?

ihardlyknowher
01-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks

Zangief
01-12-2005, 11:34 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lovinger/040920

About Greg Raymer:

'Once, at a poker convention, he was giving a talk on what he calls the "stop-and-go" limit hold 'em move. You are in the big blind on a short stack -- say, $6,000 -- in a limit tournament, and the limits are $3,000 and $6,000. Somebody with a big stack bets into you, and you've got the kind of hand that you know you are willing to go all-in on - say, A-Q suited. You could raise all-in right there, but you know the guy with the big stack is going to call you, which means you'll have to show down the best hand to win. Or you could try the stop-and-go move -- just call the $3,000 bet, then go all-in after the flop, no matter what it is. That way, if the flop totally misses Mr. Big Stack, he might fold. At worst, he'll call, and you'll have to show down the best hand to win, just as you would have if you had raised all-in before the flop. So the stop-and-go gives you two chances to win, instead of one, under the right conditions.

After Raymer explained the stop-and-go, he acknowledged that he hadn't invented the move, just named it. "I learned it by watching other top players," he said. "For example, I'm sure Chris" -- that would be Chris "Jesus" Ferguson, a WSOP winner himself, who was sitting in the audience -- "has been using the stop-and-go for years."

"Never heard of it," said Ferguson, smiling. "But now I'm going to have to seriously think about."'

I think it may be a term for anytime where you want to be all-in, but you want to give your opponent 2 chances to fold. I could see this being used in a NL tournament, too.

greg nice
01-12-2005, 11:41 AM
you simply call a bet or a raise one betting round with the intention of betting into the guy the next round