PDA

View Full Version : Bubble decision

shoeman
01-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Party Poker $10+1 No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t1668)
Hero (t1727)
SB (t1268)
BB (t3337)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t800</font>, Hero ?

I've been lurking here for about 6 months but just created an account. I seem to be getting alot of 3rd place finishes lately so I think my bubble play needs help. UTG hasn't played much lately. What is my move here?

crunchy1
01-12-2005, 10:21 AM
What level/blinds?

jah0550
01-12-2005, 10:26 AM
I think it's a call. UTG could be pushing any pair or any A7-K. U only have about 4x the BB. With a hand like A /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif with 4x the BB, I think you almost have call.

Mr_J
01-12-2005, 10:27 AM
blinds = 400 and at PP, so level 7.

DblDownTrent
01-12-2005, 11:05 AM
I don't think you can call with half your stack here. It's either all in or fold based on your read of UTG. I'd most likely shove.

Myst
01-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Auto all in, and it isnt even close.

Hell, I go auto all in with AQ even if there is a raise in front of me once the blinds hit 100/200.

shoeman
01-12-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Hell, I go auto all in with AQ even if there is a raise in front of me once the blinds hit 100/200.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think in most cases I agree. If I was short stacked or big stack compared to raiser I would have pushed. Anything but 4 handed I would have pushed. But with 3 medium stacks and one big stack (big stack yet to act), I thought it would be better to fold and allow others to react to the raise. I still had another hand until the blinds hit me again and I'd rather be first in the pot in this situation. Does this thinking make sense or am I was off base here?

Obviously, I VERY reluctantly folded and eventually ended up short stacked in 3rd.

rachelwxm
01-12-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think in most cases I agree. If I was short stacked or big stack compared to raiser I would have pushed. Anything but 4 handed I would have pushed. But with 3 medium stacks and one big stack (big stack yet to act), I thought it would be better to fold and allow others to react to the raise. I still had another hand until the blinds hit me again and I'd rather be first in the pot in this situation. Does this thinking make sense or am I was off base here?

Obviously, I VERY reluctantly folded and eventually ended up short stacked in 3rd.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are playing for 3rd? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Myst
01-12-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And thats why you always get 3rd place. You are too passive on the bubble. You gotta play for first, because thats where the money is. You most likely folded the best hand, and allowed yourself to be blinded off to 3rd place mediocrity yet again.

ColdestCall
01-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Looks like you have to push here. UTG is pot commited and will call, but, on average, you'll be a favorite. You'll be compensated for the times he shows you AA, KK, QQ and AK by the times he will show you a weaker A, or KQ, or the like. Blinds are too high to fold AQs 4 handed here, and if you win this pot you'll be in good shape to make a run at first.