Seat 6: Button (443)
SB posts small blind (100)
Hero posts big blind (200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ T /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
Button folds.
SB raises (300) to 400
Hero calls (200)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif ]
SB bets (900)
Hero raises (3820) to 3820
Hero is all-In.

Thoughts please?

emil3000
01-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Like it all around, I think. Would not like it if you had his chipstack. If the player is decent it is great. If he is horrible it is good.

jah0550
01-12-2005, 10:12 AM
Great play. I really like this play. When you are the chip leader, use it to your advantage. What I mean by that is that you can push around the second stack because he will probably be waiting until the shortstack gets busted before he tries to "mess" with you. I almost always go over the top in that situation.

illiquid
01-12-2005, 11:46 AM
SB had pocket jacks and I had no extra help.

Since I would be left with more than double the short stack if I lost the hand, I thought a push was the correct move, even though it was near a coinflip after the flop (I put him on high pair after his flop raise). But what if the short stack had a greater stack than the difference between me and second? Would that justify a call on my part instead of a push all-in, or are push or fold my only 2 options? Thanks for the comments so far.

emil3000
01-12-2005, 11:53 AM
If you were the shorter stack I think you should fold and let him take your blind.
Flop play is very tricky with this hand. I think the overbet smells like an overpair that's trying to protect himself. I can't really justify pushing here if you're shorter, but I hate calling, as well. You're getting it all for sure on the turn if you call the flop. Folding would make me cry as well. To be honest I don't know what to do here. Guess that's why I advice a fold preflop.

Myst
01-12-2005, 12:39 PM
If you put him on an overpair, and YOU KNEW he wouldnt fold, it makes a big difference if this was a bubble situation/ITM situation. The former would see me folding, the later would see me going all in.

YourFoxyGrandma
01-12-2005, 01:27 PM
I miiiight lay this down PF; you're pretty much guaranteed second if you wait a few hands. Assuming a call, the push is the correct move. Sucks you lost, but you got your chips in as the favorite.

gusly
01-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Calling the SB's raise preflop is a mistake.

You have the SB covered, you have position on him, and the short stack is about to be blinded off. Given these facts, his small raise says he probably wants action. Fold preflop, and you're still chip leader, with plenty of time to beat up on him later.

If you don't want to fold outright because you've pegged the SB as a LAG, reraise another 200 preflop to get some info about the strength of the SB's hand at a reasonable price.

Since with hindsight we know he had pocket jacks, you can be pretty sure he would have pushed after your reraise, and you would have been able to get away from this hand with minimal loss. By calling, you got seduced by a very nice looking flop that took a huge chunk of your chips.

One more thing: I probably would have played the hand just like you did before I read HOH. /images/graemlins/smile.gif