PDA

View Full Version : Barely Missed DUI

Skip Brutale
01-12-2005, 06:35 AM
I just got home and had to tell someone. I live in the mountains and it's been snowing today and is real cold tonight, the roads are really icy.

Anyways I was hanging out at a friend's house and drank 2 and a half mickeys beers. Which is malt liquore. Then I decided to man up and drive the 30 minutes home up the mountain higher.

Well I was in a real windy part, the worst part of the trip when I passed my first car (it's 1:30 at night). Soon after a car starts tailgaiting me and I adjust my rear view mirror to block their lights. Then after a bit I notice their lights are red, hmm, I adjust the mirror back and it's a [censored] cop with his lights on. [censored], how long has he been following me with his lights on? I'm [censored]!

I try to quickly pull over with a hope he'll drive by, nope. Over his loud intercom thing hes like pull more to the right, so I do. Then he's like pull over to the shoulder. And I do and he's like stop, that isn't the shoulder, move your wheels to the left and start driving. Pull over to the shoulder to the right. Then we drive hella slow for what seems like way too long and he says to stop.

Ok, now I'm [censored]. It took a series of verbal commands for me to properly pull over. The game is up. I'm not driving for a year.

He walks up and asks how I'm doing and for my license. I try to be nonchalante and tell him I'm doing good and ask how he is. Then he hands me back my ATM card and tells me he needs my driver's license. Oh man, I am [censored]. This is an embaressment.

Time to come out of the car for a discussion. I explain my rear view light adjustment leading to not seeing his lights and then being nervous that he thought I was trying to outrun him or something, resulting in shaky pulling over technique. He says I was pulled over because when he drove by me earlier I didn't take my brights off. Actually he was coming from behind a turn and I saw his lights so I switched to low beams before he was ever in front of me. Basically being aware of what was up and courteous got me pulled over.

I average 2 1/2 beers down to 2 and forget to mention it was malt liquore. He has me follow his pen with just my eyes from left to right, then has me look straight ahead while shining his flashlight in my face. We talked some about where I was going, where I came from, how old I am and how long I've lived up here durring this time.

To my surprise he then told me that he doesn't think I'm drunk, but my eyes are really dilated and he thinks I'm on meth or cocaine. It's pulse taking time and I'm through the roof of course. Now I'm asked to stick out my tongue and apparently it's totaly white.

He's like be honest with me, there is something up with you, you aren't drunk but your either high on weed, coke, or meth. I refuse and refuse, stating I have never done meth and haven't smoked weed in 2 years (true). Alright he says, he'll take me in for a dui and get me blood tested.

Time for the physical tests. I had a feeling I'd do well, and I think I did. First I had to hold my head back with eyes closed for what I estimated to be 30 seconds and tell him to stop. He didn't tell me where I was at, but I counted in my head and think I was within 5 seconds.

Then came the head back, finger on nose trick. I [censored] dominated this like a son of a bitch. My finger to nose coordination was admirable. Alright, time for the final draw, breathalizer.

I'd been expecting this and really wasn't sure if I'd pass or not. I know the legal limit is pretty low, and I weight 150 lbs at 6'. Beforehand he told me I wasn't drunk and he thought I'd pass. Well he was right thank God.

I guess there wasn't much left to go on. Can police take you in just because you have dilated pupiles, a white tongue and a fast pulse? The officer said he was going to follow me a bit and if I continued driving bad we'd do this over again and get to the bottom of what was up.

Getting back inside my car I felt really really happy. I was sure I was going to be spending the night in jail, and now I'm going to walk after a field sobriety test and 2 backup officers coming. I threw down the left turn signal and slowly eased back into the road, I guess this was impressive enough for him to not bother following me, and I closely evaded trouble!

Nuts baby!

Boris
01-12-2005, 06:48 AM
Nice! I've only been pulled over once when I was drunk. I had a headlight that was out and it was 1:45am. The headlight was the reason I got pulled over. I had the replacement in by back seat and was going to fix the headlight the next day. I got the "follow the light test". Don't ask me how but I passed with flying colors. Adrenaline I suppose. I also wasn't exactly wasted but I doubt I would have passed a breathalizer. I was counting my lucky stars after that one. Anyways this was years ago and nowadays I'm very strict about not driving intoxicated. I highly recommend not doing it as a DUI conviction can make life miserable.

Skip Brutale
01-12-2005, 07:06 AM
Yeah I'm really lucky I decided not to drink more tonight. Most nights leaving that same house I'd lose the breathalizer battle. I think I've learned my lesson. If the cop wanted to be a dick, or my conversational skills weren't too great he could probably have taken me in for a drug test for the hard drugs he thought I was on. And that would just be a sucky way to spend time.

I considered downing the 3rd beer before I left, but actually poored it out in the sink instead. Good move.

gaming_mouse
01-12-2005, 07:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and I weight 150 lbs at 6'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus. He should have taken you to a local hospital to be treated for malnutrition.

CCx
01-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Wow, you got lucky. I know the feeling, I have dodged DUI's a few times (not wasted, but certainly over the .08 limit, it only takes 3 beers in an hour), and someday that luck will certainly run out. Congrats on getting home safe and without incident!

HDPM
01-12-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got the "follow the light test". Don't ask me how but I passed with flying colors. Adrenaline I suppose. I also wasn't exactly wasted but I doubt I would have passed a breathalizer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Horizontal gaze nystagmus. link (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/enforce/nystagmus/)

mmcd
01-12-2005, 03:18 PM
As a side note here, if you have any doubt that you are below the legal limit DO NOT take a breathalyzer.

Likewise if you are unsure that you can pass field sobriety tests. All of this will just end up being evidence against you when you go to court.

lapoker17
01-12-2005, 03:24 PM
He should've arrested you for not showering or wearing deodorant.

namknils
01-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Good story. I know the feeling. I got stopped at a road stop about a year ago after drinking at a friends house. It was about 2:00 in the morning and I was on my way home. The road was blocked and they were sending everyone into a parking lot where they had what seemed to be the whole police department working. As I drove in they gave me a panfalet on drunk driving. At that point I was nearly shitting my pants. I had to wait for an open spot, and I was nervous as all get out. When a spot was open I pulled in and had to talk to a cop for about 5 minutes, seemed like an hour. I showed my license and insurance (I had trouble finding my insurance and basically emptied my whole glove box), he asked me how long I'ld been living at my address. He asked me to put on my brights, and I turned on my windshield wipers (crap). This whole time there are like 4 or 5 guys sitting on the curb about 20 feet infront of me with those plastic zip ties for handcuffs on. I thought I was toast, but apparently he had no reason to suspect me for drinking and didn't even ask me to get out of my car. So I was on my way.

When I reached for my phone to warn my friends not to go that way I realized that I forgot it at my friend's house, so I turned around on the sideroads and went back to get it. As I was telling them the story I wash shaking like crazy, could barely drink a glass of water. I took the sideroads home and was fine.

Anyway, that really taught me a lesson.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-12-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I try to quickly pull over with a hope he'll drive by, nope. Over his loud intercom thing hes like pull more to the right, so I do. Then he's like pull over to the shoulder. And I do and he's like stop, that isn't the shoulder, move your wheels to the left and start driving. Pull over to the shoulder to the right. Then we drive hella slow for what seems like way too long and he says to stop.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is my favorite part. I'm envisioning something like the beginning of Super Troopers. Pull Over! He's already pulled over! He can't pull over any farther! I'm freakin' out, maaaaan!

[ QUOTE ]
Then came the head back, finger on nose trick. I [censored] dominated this like a son of a bitch. My finger to nose coordination was admirable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very nice.

BeerMoney
01-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Nice story. I'm glad nothing happened to you as you only had 2.5 drinks.

I think drunk driving is the stupidest most selfish thing a person can do. However, things get carried away in these border line cases. To be honest, I don't think your situation was even borderline.. Either way, I respect the job the police officer did.

LALDAAS
01-12-2005, 04:50 PM
I have a good one.

My buddies and I shortly after highschool (you know when we were still cool) use to have slamming back yard parties.

This piticular party we happend to kick 6 kegs. So its like 11pm and I am about 20-25 red solo cups deep and the girl I was dating decides she wants to argue with me. (ugh) So we step into the front yard to battle.

In the corner of my eye I catch a bunch of my buddies heading to the local greasy spoon for some burgers. I think to myself MMMMmmmmmMMMMM burgers.

There is no way they are waiting for the battle to finish and didnt appear near end.

She continued to ramble on and on of course at this time all i hear is clicks and bleeps and thinking what kinda of fixin I am going to put on my burger MMMMmmmmMMMM BACON!

The battle is now over and I am victorious in being a complete drunk dick. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I now hop in my car with the only thought MMMmmmMMMM Cali with cheese, bacon and extra mayo. When my first thought should be WoW Im blasted.

So I head to dinner. Little did I know I was doin 55mh in a 25 zone. As I pull in to the parking lot of the dinner, Yup you guessed it I see the flashing red and blue lights.

The cop has his bright ass flash light in my face and asks me how much have I had to drink. I say ummm dunno 1 or 2 /images/graemlins/grin.gif

He rips open the driverside door pulls me out, throws me against the the car and punches me in the gut while telling how stupid I am and calling me every name in the book.

IT WAS MY UNCLE CARL! Thank f"in god.

He kicks my ass a little more and takes me back to his house. The next morning, he wakes me up at 6am to dig a trench for new pipes from the house to the street. 20'x3'x2'
and it was around 100 degrees that day

A small price to pay I feel. Its good to be a cop kid sometimes.

namknils
01-12-2005, 04:53 PM
That's an awesome story. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
01-12-2005, 04:57 PM
you fcukin idiot.

LALDAAS
01-12-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you fcukin idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa! It was a Barely Missed DUI story, This is one of those mistakes you make in your youth. Nearly eight years later. I DONT drink and drive not even 1 beer I learned my lesson.

Beerfund
01-12-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just got home and had to tell someone. I live in the mountains and it's been snowing today and is real cold tonight, the roads are really icy.

Anyways I was hanging out at a friend's house and drank 2 and a half mickeys beers. Which is malt liquore. Then I decided to man up and drive the 30 minutes home up the mountain higher.

Well I was in a real windy part, the worst part of the trip when I passed my first car (it's 1:30 at night). Soon after a car starts tailgaiting me and I adjust my rear view mirror to block their lights. Then after a bit I notice their lights are red, hmm, I adjust the mirror back and it's a [censored] cop with his lights on. [censored], how long has he been following me with his lights on? I'm [censored]!

Ok, now I'm [censored]. It took a series of verbal commands for me to properly pull over. The game is up. I'm not driving for a year.

He walks up and asks how I'm doing and for my license. I try to be nonchalante and tell him I'm doing good and ask how he is. Then he hands me back my ATM card and tells me he needs my driver's license. Oh man, I am [censored]. This is an embaressment.

Time to come out of the car for a discussion. I explain my rear view light adjustment leading to not seeing his lights and then being nervous that he thought I was trying to outrun him or something, resulting in shaky pulling over technique. He says I was pulled over because when he drove by me earlier I didn't take my brights off. Actually he was coming from behind a turn and I saw his lights so I switched to low beams before he was ever in front of me. Basically being aware of what was up and courteous got me pulled over.

I average 2 1/2 beers down to 2 and forget to mention it was malt liquore. He has me follow his pen with just my eyes from left to right, then has me look straight ahead while shining his flashlight in my face. We talked some about where I was going, where I came from, how old I am and how long I've lived up here durring this time.

To my surprise he then told me that he doesn't think I'm drunk, but my eyes are really dilated and he thinks I'm on meth or cocaine. It's pulse taking time and I'm through the roof of course. Now I'm asked to stick out my tongue and apparently it's totaly white.

He's like be honest with me, there is something up with you, you aren't drunk but your either high on weed, coke, or meth. I refuse and refuse, stating I have never done meth and haven't smoked weed in 2 years (true). Alright he says, he'll take me in for a dui and get me blood tested.

Time for the physical tests. I had a feeling I'd do well, and I think I did. First I had to hold my head back with eyes closed for what I estimated to be 30 seconds and tell him to stop. He didn't tell me where I was at, but I counted in my head and think I was within 5 seconds.

Then came the head back, finger on nose trick. I [censored] dominated this like a son of a bitch. My finger to nose coordination was admirable. Alright, time for the final draw, breathalizer.

I'd been expecting this and really wasn't sure if I'd pass or not. I know the legal limit is pretty low, and I weight 150 lbs at 6'. Beforehand he told me I wasn't drunk and he thought I'd pass. Well he was right thank God.

I guess there wasn't much left to go on. Can police take you in just because you have dilated pupiles, a white tongue and a fast pulse? The officer said he was going to follow me a bit and if I continued driving bad we'd do this over again and get to the bottom of what was up.

Getting back inside my car I felt really really happy. I was sure I was going to be spending the night in jail, and now I'm going to walk after a field sobriety test and 2 backup officers coming. I threw down the left turn signal and slowly eased back into the road, I guess this was impressive enough for him to not bother following me, and I closely evaded trouble!

Nuts baby!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've gotten off of a couple DUI's before, got pulled over bout 20 miles outside of town for speeding down an old empty highway at 3 in the morning. I refused to do the field sobriety tests (which is legal to do) and by the time they got me back to the station I blew a .06, under the limit, but they still charged me with driving under an intoxicating substance. It went to court and when my lawyer pointed out that I was only going 9 mph over the speed limit the judge threw out the case. (In AZ there is no law against going over the speed limit, only if your speed is unreasonable and not prudent /images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

Boris
01-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Sounds like a must for every DUI laywers bookshelf. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DangerGoodson
01-12-2005, 05:35 PM
not that i'm interested in breaking the law and drunk driving but what are the laws with sobriety tests and breathilizers? do you have to take them?
anyone?

jakethebake
01-12-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not that i'm interested in breaking the law and drunk driving but what are the laws with sobriety tests and breathilizers? do you have to take them?
anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]
Varies from place to place. Most lawyers tell you never take a breathalizer under any circumstances. Most places you can refuse to take it, but if you do, you automatically get your license suspended.

ThaSaltCracka
01-12-2005, 05:49 PM
In WA, if you decline the breathalyzer, it is an automatic conviction.

Beerfund
01-12-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

In AZ if you refuse a breathalyzer your license is auotmatically suspended for 1 year and then they'll take blood. My friend got off once because the breathalyzer was passed it's calibration date so it doesn't hurt to check.