PDA

View Full Version : Set on flop in large field with PFR far away...best play throughout?

RED_RAIN
01-12-2005, 04:43 AM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP2 calls.

I felt that the best way was to try to trap people in between us. When I got 3 bet, I believed I was up against Qs-As by MP2 but wanted to see if maybe I was up against a larger set. I originally planned on trying to trap people between and then check/raise the turn. But with the action on flop I went ahead and capped to see if they would raise me on the turn. Anyone else have ideas?

Turn: (11 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (13 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

wuarhg
01-12-2005, 04:45 AM
I would've played it the same way, hoping to trap people between myself and MP, assuming he would've raised. Looks good.

dantheman_05
01-12-2005, 04:49 AM
flop was 3 T 7 rainbow. great flop 4 u. teh BB has a T and UTG is an idiot. 3bettor ahs QQ-AA (maybe TT on the flop buit clearly doesnt on turn) i say call his three bet to get BB and UTG to call the check rasie the turn. But you are risking losing teh pot to runner runner. eitehr capping or just calling is correct. if the board had a flush draw on it then u must cap.

RED_RAIN
01-12-2005, 04:55 AM
I guess I was also wondering if BB had a higher set or maybe even UTG slow playing. Knew I could find out easier with capping on flop, but then I might get into a battle with 2 outters later on.

Aukai
01-12-2005, 05:03 AM
I think you get more info on BB's hand by just calling, and seeing if he caps. If he does, I might possibly slow down, but if he just calls, I lead or c/r the turn, hope MP2 still likes his overpair. I think you make quite a bit more when you're ahead with this line, and very possibly drag UTG into the fray with whatever junk he has.

evain
01-12-2005, 05:22 AM
I think you played it fine. If you could but MP2 on AA or KK I would flat call the three bet on the flop looking to check raise a safe card on the turn. But yours was a nice straight play of the hand.

Cheers

evain

pindawg
01-12-2005, 05:31 AM
I think you lost 2 customers by capping the flop. I'd call the 3bet here, and c/r the turn. Lure em in on the flop and take their their money on the bigger streets /images/graemlins/smile.gif

RED_RAIN
01-12-2005, 05:43 AM
This is very true, but then you also give right price to gutshots and runner runners.

If anything, if I call the 3 bet on flop, I think betting again on the turn will make MP2 raise As-Qs still.

Gatts
01-12-2005, 06:33 AM
check-raising is not the right play on the turn. do you see why?

chesspain
01-12-2005, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you get more info on BB's hand by just calling, and seeing if he caps. If he does, I might possibly slow down, but if he just calls, I lead or c/r the turn, hope MP2 still likes his overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think BB would have raised if he had a set?

PokerBob
01-12-2005, 10:37 AM
I think this is a perfect time for a stop and go. If you just call the flop 3-bet, BB and UTG most likely will come along. You can then lead the turn, hoping to trap BB and UTG to call and then have the pf raiser raise it.

You can't worry about being up against bigger set. As the saying goes, "If you don't lose a lot with a set, you played it wrong."

PokerBob
01-12-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you lost 2 customers by capping the flop. I'd call the 3bet here, and c/r the turn. Lure em in on the flop and take their their money on the bigger streets /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a c/r here on the turn is asking for trouble. BB and UTG will most likely check to the pf raiser. When you then raise, you are facing them with 2 cold. Not good.

sfer
01-12-2005, 11:19 AM
When I see the flop I immediately think stop n' go n' 3-bet.

belloc
01-12-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I see the flop I immediately think stop n' go n' 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this for the same reasons mentioned above, namely, you want to get a raise in on the turn without facing those between you and PFR with two bets cold (which a c/r would do)? Is this the general sort of situation for a stop n go, or are there others?

Trix
01-12-2005, 11:59 AM
I call when he 3bets to keep BB in with whatever 5 outer, then eithe bet out or CR the turn. Probably check-raise as that card can slow him down.

Aukai
01-12-2005, 04:05 PM
The fact that it might slow him down makes leading the turn a better play. Having him check the turn through would be terrible.

Trix
01-12-2005, 05:55 PM
What about his play makes you think he will check the turn ?

RED_RAIN
01-14-2005, 04:31 PM
stop n go and then 3 bet the turn raise?