PDA

View Full Version : Flush draw heads-up against a near-maniac

GrunchCan
01-12-2005, 03:06 AM
The opponent is a wierd combination of tight and maniac. He only plays 20% of his hands, but when he does play he bets and raises nearly 100% of the time.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls, BB folds.

Flop: (5 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero...?

There's no question that I'm playing. The question is how? What's my general line here? Try to take control? Or try to get to the end cheap?

Entity
01-12-2005, 03:20 AM
If he only plays 20% of his hands but plays all of them aggressively, why did you call here?

cold_cash
01-12-2005, 03:27 AM
That's kinda what I was wondering.

BTW, I don't think you want to try and "take control" in this spot.

Shillx
01-12-2005, 04:01 AM
Fold preflop. Check and call this baby.

Brad

GrunchCan
01-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Well, normally I'd muck PF in this spot, but not this time. Here's why.

The opponent's stats over 650 hands were 20/19. In other words, he was on the loose end of correctly tight PF, and came in for a raise with 95% of the hands he plays. In that situation, his raises mean absolutely nothing. Since he was in MP and everyone before him folded, there is a very wide range of hands he could be on.

So now the question becomes, what's the default play HU against 1 opponent in an unraised pot with KQo? I'll often limp in the SB, and so that's what I did here. I figured my equity was quite high, greater than 50%.

In fact, considering all this, perhapes I should have re-raised.