PDA

View Full Version : To: MS Sunshine; More ??? On Database

02-08-2002, 10:24 AM
This is a continuation of the post below "Five Secrets to Online poker", specifically about databases.

First of all, thanks for the detailed set up instructions.

So "Star Database" is just the one you use? Then you're just suggesting I use whatever spreadsheet type DB I happen to have, such as Excel or plain Word, right?

Sorry, no computer nerd here...just a little nerdy in my thoughts. I'm 50, OK? My brother suggests I call them senior moments (LOL)!

KC50

P.S. (because I know you can relate) fyi...I'm also a fellow recovering rape victim of Pokerspot and am currently going to OPRVA.

(Online Poker Rape Victims Anonymous).

;>)

02-08-2002, 10:53 AM
To compare losing a few $$$ to rape is sick beyond belief.

A friend of mine was raped. She would give all her money to erase the memory of suffering that.

Perhaps you should think before you post.

Keith

02-08-2002, 11:05 AM
There is a post under "a database",Monday, 21 January 2002, at 5:06 a.m. Which you may like.

Use whatever came with your computer system for your database. Learn how to sort your data. Very important.

MS Sunshine

02-08-2002, 11:24 AM
I don't think KC50 meant in anyway to actually compare a sexual physical attack with the loss of several hundred of thousands of dollars.

Many have friends that this has happened too, myself included. There is a lot of rage, and other emotions, without any outlet. Be thankful she lived thru this terrible thing.

MS Sunshine

02-08-2002, 11:59 AM
Hawk,

Yes, I was trying to bring the lighter side of a bad situation that MS Sunshine (both Mr. and Mrs.)and I have shared common ground on.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. Actually, I too have a couple of close friends who have suffered from the physical level of this insane act.

This is a good example for me to be reminded that our words, no matter how funny or innocent as they seem to us, just might strike a negative nerve to someone.

I wish peace, happiness and recovery to your friend.

Again, my apologoies...

KC50

02-08-2002, 12:18 PM
You seem to be one of the few intelligent and reasonable posters on this forum, I am sure you posted what you did without thinking.

My friend is recovering, slowly, but surely... but trusting people again after such an event is obviously going to be difficult.

I will pass on your good wishes.

Thanks,

Keith

02-08-2002, 03:31 PM
Where is the post you're referring to? I viewed the archives and there is nothing that recent archived yet? It has been archived from this forum, but I can't seem to find where it landed.

Can you be more specific?

Thanks,

KC50

02-08-2002, 04:15 PM
FC50

When you first enter the forum, at the top is a command search, click this. Knowing the exact spelling of the poster and entering 2 months for time period will get you all the most recent posts.

Hello

I have had a few ask about my databases. This is a summary of my most recent one which I use for PartyPoker, which is where I'm currently putting in most of my play. I started this about the beginning of Nov., so it has a ways to go.

Comments, good and bad, are welcome.

Party Poker Database 1/02

Total players: 554

1: 1

2: 4

3: 18

4: 91

5: 72

6: 38

7: 11

8: 7

9: 2

nr 312

Of the 312 with no rating 60 have playing style notes.

Of the 91 Grp 4's, 43 have a "tight?" comment in the playing style which means I have played enough with not to see any glaring mistakes.

242 players with ratings.

1: 00.4%

2: 01.6

3: 07.4

4: 37.6

5. 29.8

6: 15.7

7: 04.6

8: 02.9

9: 00.8

As you can see, 2/3 of players land in the average(4) and below average groups. This database is about 90 days old and over time with enough observations more will move up to above average(3) and down to poor(6) but unless the amount of new players doesn't slow, the middle groups will continue to have the bulk of the players in them. This also a factor of how I view poker, many average and below average players. So, shoot me.

There is about 60 players in Group 6-9. Every player at the top knows these players by name whether they keep notes or not. For this is where the bulk of games that are very profitable are built around. Some only come out every month or so. Some I fear will never be seen again, sigh. It is split on their playing stlyes in the lower groups. "loose caller" is easy to understand, they call and call and call. How much they call decides which group they end up in.

"very loose/very ag" are the big fish, they swim in the pot avg $180-220($10-20 HE) end of the pool. The group 6 "very loose/very ag" are the ones that seem to be the best at overcoming their playing style, the playing of too many hands, by playing very tough on the later betting rounds.

Most of the rest in these lower groups are "loose ag" and are just plain weak, but play fewer hands than the true go-off artists.

In the top groups "med tight ag" gets the money it seems. This process is very subjective, it is how I see the player and how tough it is for me to play against them. "tight ag" is more the group 3 or 4. and most likely the player that I wish to have behind me. Since I play less hands with them, having this player, even though they play well, behind me hurts me less than having any med loose agressive player behind me, good or bad.

Almost any player in the top groups is tricky, some more than others. The good short-hand players, which can adjust for ring games are well represented here.

I will not give out the names any of the lower groups, but here is my opinion of the best players in the $10-20 hold'em:

Marchese

Gilbralter

Catnip

Puravida

Jesusrocks

Royalen

Bopper

Dan Druff

Tuco Ramirez

Stonekiller

There are other group 3's on the site, but they play other games, some that I do not play well enough to judge fairly, some could say the same thing about my hold'em game.

For me to give a player a high rating I must have seen them play for a period of time and with good solid play with very little tilt.

There are other players which seem to play good, but till they become a HUGE pain in the ass by repeatly taking my money and other's they will stay as group 4's.

Hope this has some value.

MS Sunshine

02-08-2002, 05:52 PM
You ever heard of 'analogy'?

Get off of your politically correct, thought control soapbox.

02-08-2002, 06:10 PM

02-08-2002, 09:57 PM
It is not politically correct to have compassion for others, it is HUMAN. KC50 may be one of the classiest people posting here. Recognizing an error and apologizing in such an eloquent manner takes true character. Chastizing someone who is supporting their friend after a terrible ordeal.........

Hawk, I am sorry for your friend as well. Crimes of this nature affect us all. I wish her a speedy recovery, both pysically and emotionally

Larry

02-09-2002, 12:11 AM
This makes about as much sense as somebody objecting to the use of the word 'kill' in a sentence such as 'I got killed in a 4/8 game last night', on grounds that they know of someone who was killed in a street mugging.

The term 'rape' has been used analogously in the way KC50 did for ever. If KC50 had made this comment in the presence of a woman who he knew had been raped, that would be different. But thehawk67 is talking about a stranger for god's sake. Be realistic.

02-12-2002, 12:47 AM
perhaps you should get a life