PDA

View Full Version : Mike L. Sweats Me

andyfox
01-12-2005, 02:55 AM
Mike L. comes up to say hi. Big smile, as always, you'd think he was the biggest turd by his posts here, but he's a sweetheart. We small talk a bit and he says he's going to sweat me a bit. I'm in seat 1, immediately left of the dealer, where I usually am.

As usual, I fold, fold, fold, and then, UTG, I get pocket queens. I raise and I don't quite remember what happened behind, I think there were three of us to the flop, which came K-T-x. Check, I bet, fold (?) and now the big blind, in seat nine on the other side of the dealer, low on chips, puts in a bill to call. Next card comes out and it puts three hearts, of which I have none, on board. Check and I bet. He puts another bill in and says raise. There's a bit of confusion and he finally puts an additional bill in (we're playing 40-80, a raise is 160, so he needs to put in two bills). I clearly heard him say "raise," so there's no question about the raise being legit. I fold.

Mike now tells me he check-raised the flop. "He did?" I ask. Yes, Mike says, I heard him say, not as loud as he did on the flop, "raise." "Did the dealer give him change for a raise or for a call," I ask Mike. Mike says he doesn't know because he was shielded from sight by the dealer.

Two hands later, I'm in the small blind and there are two or three limpers, and the big blind looks uninterested, and I have 6-5o and I say to Mike, "I'm going to play this because you're here" and I toss in two chips. Big blind checks on cue and the flop is K-4-2 rainbow. Check, check, check, check. Turn is a J. I bet and everybody folds.

So there you have it. Mike saw me play two hands. In the first one, I was check-raised twice: the first time I didn't call and the second time I didn't call. And in the second hand, I misplayed every street and won the pot.

Strange place, that Commerce.

I left Mike with Iris. I'm sure they got along famously.

Josh W
01-12-2005, 03:06 AM
Hey Andy, I swung by Commerce tonight, and I saw a guy that kinda fits your description of Mike L. However, I think he said his name was mike l. Not sure though.

I may be by on Fri and/or Sat. perhaps I'll see you. Perhaps I won't. The latter would be a shame.

Josh W (no period after my initial. dunno why.)

AviD
01-12-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In the first one, I was check-raised twice: the first time I didn't call and the second time I didn't call. And in the second hand, I misplayed every street and won the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best part of the story! /images/graemlins/wink.gif
I absolutely love the CR on the flop you didn't call and the CR on the turn you also didn't call, that was great! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sfer
01-12-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in seat 1, immediately left of the dealer, where I usually am.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Andy, what's the deal with middle aged men and their fondness for the 1 and 10 seats?

andyfox
01-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Roomier. And easier to see the board. And less likely somebody else sees your hole cards when you have to look at them for a minute and a half to discern what they are.

andyfox
01-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Your point about the pointless W and your case about the lower case l. are duly noted. Friday and/or Saturday are doubtful, at best, as far as my possible appearance at Commerce is concerned, but who knows. Hopefully, if not then, we can hook up soon. Period.

Andy

Clarkmeister
01-12-2005, 12:38 PM
Man, if the BB is uninterested I'm playing that 65o 100% of the time. The postflop action you posted is the exact reason why.

andyfox
01-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Well, you know I'm folding it 100% of the time when mike isn't standing behind me. Everybody tells me how boring it is to sweat me, and then they complain when I fold hands out of the blind that they would play, so I'm going to play everything when a 2+2er is behind me. Actually, I probably have more reason to play it than you, since I think they're going to fold on the turn to my bet more than they will to yours. Then again, I play at Commerce, and you in Vegas, so that counteracts that theory.

When i told mike later that my pre-flop call wasn't bad because look, they folded to me on the turn, he laughed, meaning he thought it was results-oriented poppycock.

After a while, I cashed out and sweated him for two hands. First hand he has A-T in latish position and raises a limper. Flop comes K-J-x and they check to him and he bets and two guys check-call. Turn is a blank and it's checked around. River is an Ace and they check to him and he bets and he gets a call. Caller flashed mike a jack after conceding. Afraid of his jack with only a king on the board, but not afraid when there was a king and an ace. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Next hand he gets A-Q and he raises a couple of limpers and the flop comes Q-x-y and the turn is an Ace putting a flush draw on board and Mike raises when a guy bets into him and the river is a Q and mike gets to raise the guy twice.

I told him he should pay me to sweat him.

scrub
01-12-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Roomier. And easier to see the board. And less likely somebody else sees your hole cards when you have to look at them for a minute and a half to discern what they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tables in LA must be different than tables anywhere I've played--I always feel cramped in the 1 and the 10 because my legs keep hitting the drop and tip boxes.

Also, it's a pain in the ass not to be able to see the action in the {1/2, 9/10} seats that well.

Maybe it's one of those things I'll understand when I'm older and wiser...

scrub

edtost
01-12-2005, 08:08 PM
being in the 1s does have the advantage of being able to see the intentions of 3-4 others after you without moving/trying.

scrub
01-12-2005, 09:22 PM
I agree--1 >> 10.

scrub

andyfox
01-13-2005, 01:16 AM
In L.A., the drop box is on the #9 seat side of the dealer, so I prefer #1. It's also easier to eat in seats 1 and 9.

Clarkmeister
01-13-2005, 01:23 AM
No way. In the 1 seat you get a sore neck looking around the dealer trying to see when it's your turn to act.

Mike Gallo
01-13-2005, 02:02 AM
Hey Andy, what's the deal with middle aged men and their fondness for the 1 and 10 seats?

I take offence to that comment, since I prefer the 1 ans 10 seats.

Fred G Sanford sits in those seats so he can flirt with the cute dealers.

sfer
01-13-2005, 11:25 AM
I'll restate. Hey Andy and Mike, what's the deal with married or middle aged men and their fondness for the 1 and 10 seats. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

andyfox
01-13-2005, 12:58 PM
I either fold all the time, or have the dealers properly trained to signal me when I'm up.

Barry
01-13-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez, I'm middle aged and married and I hate those seats.

[ QUOTE ]
Fred G Sanford sits in those seats so he can flirt with the cute dealers

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to flirt, you need to do it with eye contact. That's why the 5 and 6 seats rule. Plus you can still see the board. Of course having good peripheral vision helps too.

snakehead
01-13-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, you know I'm folding it 100% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

the first time I ever sweated you, you played 65. maybe there's more to this story than you're telling.

andyfox
01-14-2005, 12:47 AM
I think I made a big hand then, if memory serves.

Anyway, I play better now. Not much though.