PDA

View Full Version : When to take a free card on turn?

mannika
01-12-2005, 01:09 AM
When should you be more likely to take a free card on the turn rather than betting out after a semi-bluff raise on the flop?

For example, assume that you semi-bluff raise the flop with the nut flush draw, and you do not hit your flush on the river, and it is checked to you. What factors dictate whether you should bet again or check to see the river?

Harv72b
01-12-2005, 01:17 AM
A few things that I look for as deciding factors...

1) Number of opponents. Against one or two opponents, a turn bet might win the pot for you.
2) Size of the pot. You're less likely to buy outs in a large pot.
3) Turn scare card. Even if the flush didn't come, if a possible straight completed or maybe top rag paired on the board, I'm more likely to bet it & hope to thin the field.
4) Tells. Even online, you can get a read from someone who's just itching to c/r you. Of course, this is usually only useful if you're playing one or at most two tables.

I still have some questions regarding this, though, and I look forward to reading other responses.

pindawg
01-12-2005, 01:19 AM
I tihnk you mean turn. Well, I take into acocunt whos gonna act behind me if any. If I'm last to act I'll likely check the turn unimproved, and if theres players acting behind me i'll check check/call (this is with just a nut flush draw).

Now, if i got a K high flush draw (with KhQh) and the board is jh10s5h2c I'll likely open from any position on the turn. It all depends on how strong your draws are.

jclin
01-12-2005, 01:21 AM
Read SSHE for the answer. They have good examples in there.