PDA

View Full Version : Blind steal.

Trix
01-12-2005, 12:22 AM
Party 5/10 6.

You open AT on the button, BB calls.

Flop 977r

He bets. What line do you take most of the time here ?

Alobar
01-12-2005, 03:30 AM
This seems to be happening to me alot lately.

most of the time I call and see what he does on the turn. If he checks to me, I bet. If any broadway card falls and he bets into me, I raise. If junk falls and he still bets into me, I go by whatever read I have.

if the flop is something like (broadway card)77r. I call the flop and raise the turn no matter what falls.

Rubeskies
01-12-2005, 03:43 AM
It has been happening to me a lot lately as well, generally from players on the passive or bad side.

What it ends up being most the time is top pair medium or bad kicker or middle pair and they'll generally check/call the river. Here I'd guess it is most likely a 7. They'd probably slowplay a 9. I generally play this situations as if the guy has a 7 and go from there.

I don't only assume he has a seven, but it is very high on list of possible hands.

Alobar
01-12-2005, 04:12 AM
really? you assume he has the trips? I always assume its the 9 or a smaller PP or just Ace high. Which is why I take the line I do, most of the time they fold to my turn raise, so I dont really know what they had, I can only assume. The times I have an over pair or just decide to take whatever hand I have to showdown by calling the whole way, it never turns out to be the trips. people play their trips at 5/10 6max like everyone does at 2/4 full IMO, they just wait to the turn to c/r you.

Scotch78
01-12-2005, 04:27 AM
The only potential value I see is in stealing the pot. At best you would be getting 5-2 (on a flop raise), and even if MP will fold enough considering the pot odds, I doubt he'll fold often enough to give you a cushion for the times that you are drawing slim to dead. The pot is tiny, I let it go.

Scott

pfkaok
01-12-2005, 06:56 AM
Yeah, this sucks, i think this must be a new trick the fish at 5/10 picked up... I mix this one up a bit, but I never feel sure of myself.

Of course he usually has 2 pair. I like the call, then bluff/raise the turn if a bigger card hits. I think that's the only way you have any bluffing equity here, as you almost will never see them taking a bet/fold line on the flop in this spot. The only thing that sucks about this one is that T9 and A9 are both likely hands for him to call your PFR with, so a lot of time you only have 3 outs here. This is why I sometimes think that just folding to the flop bet might be the best move if my opponent will almost never fold his 2pair.

Schneids
01-12-2005, 10:10 AM
People bet Ace-junk into PFR's all the time on this type of flop, as well as 56, 86, JT, or J8. I think folding on the flop is out of the question. I mix it up between calling then popping the turn, or raising right away on the flop. If I've been raising good hands a lot lately ont he flop then it's a flop raise.

Trix
01-12-2005, 11:55 AM
I just called as i would hate it if he was cabable of 3bet bluffing and ive seen that a couple of times lately either on flop or turn.

Turn was a 3

I just called again.

River J

And I called again. He had J9.

Danenania
01-12-2005, 02:42 PM
I think calling down is okay. So is raising the flop then betting the turn for a free shodown. So is calling flop then raising turn for free showdown. Calling flop, folding turn is okay against some. I mix it up but probably use raise turn for free showdown the most, especially if a scary card hits.

pfkaok
01-12-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think folding on the flop is out of the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I almost never fold this, but when its a passive opponnent who most likely has 2pair, and will never fold to aggression if he does in fact have 2 pair, then a fold might not be that bad a play. Of course even if it is the proper play for that spot its really bad image-wise and all that. I just think that if He's much more likely to have 2pair than anything else, then folding can't be THAT bad a play, in theory.

Gazza
01-12-2005, 05:23 PM
I agree with Danenania - mix it up. This example also shows why the default play against TAG's and LAG's should be to attack straight away (with a CR usually) with trips when defending a blind against a pre flop raiser. Hardly anyone will be able to credit you with trips. And even if they suspect they know that you will also play a variety of other hands this way as well so won't be able to do much about it.

Gazza

Grisgra
01-12-2005, 05:32 PM
What so incredibly annoying about this is that most of the time, you're behind. I am not at all surprised to find that he had top pair. And yet there are just enough players who know enough to bluff at a paired flop that calling down isn't the most horrible idea in the world. But I suspect that without a read, it's -EV to call the turn. Raising the flop to try to get a cheap showdown (or you can just fold on the river) might be best.

I really, really hate this spot. I suspect that folding is best, but man, talk about making it easy for observant folks to take shots at you.

Thomsen
01-12-2005, 06:00 PM
If you call the turn planning on calling any rivercard u might as well raise.

Trix
01-12-2005, 09:08 PM
What happens when he 3bet bluffs then ?

Alobar
01-12-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What happens when he 3bet bluffs then ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its rare the player that does this, and if he is that type of player it prolly wont take long to be obvious, and then it becomes +EV just to call him down from the flop on.