PDA

View Full Version : anyone have advice for virtual PC...

djhoneybear
01-11-2005, 11:50 PM
I recently installed virtual PC on my Mac. When I play tables on-line on my Mac I have no speed issues even when multi-tabling. When I go to the PC side of things my connection is dangeriously slow. Does anyone have any information on how to optimize this thing?

There are two reasons I want to play poker on Virtual PC. First, there are more sites I can go to and more deposit bonuses etc. available to me. second, I am interested in improving my game with PokerTracker. If anyone has any suggestions on how to accomplish either of these goals I would really appreciate it. I was hoping it would be possible to at least play on my mac and analyze my play with Virtual PC but I think you need to install PC software in order to have an accessable database file.

Poker just doesn't seem to be for Mac users!

Kablooie
01-12-2005, 01:05 AM
As far as i can tell this problem seems to be site/software specific. I have Virtual PC on my Powerbook, Pokerstars is fine, but i have the same problem you do with the Party skins. Messing around with the memory allocation didn't seem to help.

amulet
01-12-2005, 02:34 AM
i use vpc daily on my mac. play at party, pokerstars, paradise, and ub. sometimes 4 tables, tourneys etc. no problems. i also use pokertracker. if you want to send me a private message with your e-mail or phone number i will try to help you.

illunious
01-12-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker just doesn't seem to be for Mac users!

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. Any serious online poker player -needs- a PC (any serious gamer/geek/fringe-software user also). Emulators are (almost always) restrictive slow and buggy.

amulet
01-12-2005, 03:23 AM
no, i have a 17" powerbook, a 23" monitor, extra memory, and mine works wonderfully.

illunious
01-12-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no, i have a 17" powerbook, a 23" monitor, extra memory, and mine works wonderfully.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close to as wonderfully as the price of a 17" powerbook and 23" monitor equates to in PC.

Tron
01-12-2005, 04:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close to as wonderfully as the price of a 17" powerbook and 23" monitor equates to in PC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, yeah... $5000 worth of PC = BEAST.

turnipmonster
01-12-2005, 12:39 PM
I have an older powerbook (667MHz, 1GB ram) and vpc just runs too slow. I recently got an old pc from work, and I use that to play online poker. it's much faster than vpc ever was.

to the people that have newer, faster powerbooks, does vpc really run the same speed as a pc would? I researched it and pretty much everyone said it was going to be slow.

--turnipmonster

burningyen
01-12-2005, 03:11 PM
VPC on my 1GHz/1GB Powerbook G4 runs a tiny bit slower than a real PC. Multitabling doesn't seem to be an issue, at least with UB (I don't play on the other sites much). What is a big issue is trying to run UB and PT on auto-rate at the same time. Does this also slow up a real PC?

BTW, to the original poster: you do know how to share folders, right? You should be able to look at hand histories on your Mac through VPC no problem.

djhoneybear
01-12-2005, 03:16 PM
I do know how to share files. The problem is that when running on a Mac there are no files to share. The only site that seems to support Macs is pokerroom.com and when you play using their java script there is no database file created. At least that is my understanding. If you know differently please let me know too.

amulet
01-12-2005, 04:53 PM
ok, based on the replys, i took an older powerbook, put the newest vpc 7 professional (no xp), and tried it. i was multi tabling with no problems. however, i allocated a lot of memory to vpc. memory and the correct version of vpc seem to be the key.

amulet
01-12-2005, 05:01 PM
lol. i actually have both at my company. with vpc and the correct memory there is really no difference in performance.

illunious
01-12-2005, 05:06 PM
I stand corrected.

burningyen
01-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Some sites require that you request hand histories by e-mail, don't know about pokerroom, though.

Also, I hear that Bugsy's supports Macs.

djhoneybear
01-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Amulet - How do you allocate memory to a program? I knew how to do this in OS 9 but I'm not sure if there is a way in OS X - also do you think the fact that I am running Windows 98 in Virtual PC 7 might cause the lag? Perhaps I should upgrade to XP?

turnipmonster
01-13-2005, 11:30 AM
hmm, I have the older version of vpc (6 I think). I guess I'll check out 7....