PDA

View Full Version : Computer geeks...help!

thetman
01-11-2005, 11:17 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1093468376782&skuId=6850981&product CategoryId=cat15157&type=product

I'm considering buying this notebook to play poker and surf the web. Can somebody check it out and let me know if it's adequate? I'll send you a few bucks via neteller if you help me out. Any info you could provide would help me greatly! Thank you!!!

thetman
01-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Cmon guys...somebody can help me,right?

Cubswin
01-11-2005, 11:29 PM
you really ought to give people more then 11 minutes to reply.

thetman
01-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Just trying to keep it near the top so it doesn't get lost...sorry.

vetman81
01-11-2005, 11:32 PM
That should be more than enough. You probably wont be able to fit 4 tables without overlap though.

Mike_S
I don't know a whole lot about computers, but I know that you can do better with a Dell, The customer service is outstanding.

Go to their web-site and look for the close outs, great deals. I just bought one one for one of my salesman for 1500 and it has everything

Cubswin
the computer is more then enough to play poker with... but if you are wanting multiple games without overlap this machine will not do it. It will, however, do two games side-by-side with a slight overlap.

cubs

scotnt73
01-11-2005, 11:33 PM
its very nice but the price seems a bit high. for that price id personally rather have a sony. we havent had alot of luck with the toshibas at my job. we recently switched to IBM.

one big piece of advice:make sure it has the touch pad(which the toshiba does). we got a good deal on a few new ibm a while back and all they had was the little button(looks like a red eraser in the middle of the keyboard) and ive never gotten used to them(dont get me wrong ibm do come with the touch pad as well-these were ordered by a department for a good price and they found out why when they came in). totally awkward. for some reason the few sony vios we got 6 months ago just seemed better than the toshibas and ibs as far as less problems. they also are lighter and seem a little faster when they have very similar hardware and prices. just my experience at work though(we have about 40 laptop users). i have never owned a laptop.

thetman
01-11-2005, 11:36 PM
So if I look for a Dell, what should my minimum requirements be as far as ram and other stuff I have no idea about?

Cubswin
01-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Dell, The customer service is outstanding.

I think you are in the minority with this opinion. They are second on my companies to avoid... trailing sprint PCS by the smallest of margins.

cubs

Cubswin
01-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Check that.... i wouldnt avoid them... great products at great prices... i just dont like their support.

cubs

UncleDuke
01-12-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
one big piece of advice:make sure it has the touch pad(which the toshiba does). we got a good deal on a few new ibm a while back and all they had was the little button(looks like a red eraser in the middle of the keyboard) and ive never gotten used to them(dont get me wrong ibm do come with the touch pad as well-these were ordered by a department for a good price and they found out why when they came in). totally awkward.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, when I bought my laptop, I went out of my way to get to one without a touchpad. I find I'm always leaning on the touchpad when I type and moving the cursor.

theredwave
01-12-2005, 04:23 AM
Well, I'm not a computer guy but I did buy this same type of laptop just a few months ago. It's the Satellite series, and with just about the same specs. So far it has worked well for poker playing, and surfing the net. I did have to send it in once for repairs but it only took a week and everything has worked perfectly since. I've only had it for around 9 months so I can't say much for its durability. The touchpad is a pain to use so I would definitely buy a optical mouse if you did plan on buying it. If you are into games though you are better off buying a desktop.

o0mr_bill0o
01-12-2005, 04:29 AM
That computer is far more than you need for poker. my old 600 mhz dell latitude c800 w/ SXGA+ and a 16mb radeon mobility works perfectly, and i got it for less than a quarter of that price a year and a half ago. The WXGA should work for 4 tabling. it's resolution is 1440x900, so there will definitely be some noticeable overlap, however it will be manageable. For reference, here's a screenshot of my SXGA+ screen 4-tabling empire with it's resolution of 1400x1050, so the height of the screen is going to be 150 pixels larger than the screen you're looking at while the width will be the same.

www.student.carleton.edu/~salleed/4TableShot.jpg (http://www.student.carleton.edu/~salleed/4TableShot.jpg)

So, as you can see SXGA+ should probably be all you need as far as screen size goes. However, if you want to go UXGA you can 4-table with no overlap whatsoever. Otherwise, just about anything you purchase hardware-wise is going to be enough to power any online poker app for 4 tables. so, if you really want to have a portable multimedia station and need to burn dvds, you can go for a laptop similar to the one you were looking at. however, if you want more portability and a cheaper price tag, cut down on the screen size (14" SXGA+ or 15" UXGA or SXGA+ ought to do quite well), also you can feel free to cut the processor speed and video card to whatever best matches your non-poker needs. However, I'd still advise having at least 256 megs of ram and preferably 512.

SackUp
01-12-2005, 05:25 AM
I would get a dell inspiron 8600.

I would get the PentiumŪ M Processor 710(1.40GHz/400MHz FSB) with a 15.4in screen and WUXGA upgrade (getting the WUXGA is clutch). Then i would get like 512mb ram, 60gb hard drive, 64mb video card. This should be more than enough for poker and is a great comp. It will last a while and is very cost effective. You can add the dell protection and complete care if you want added protection.

This comp should be cheaper than the toshiba and just as good if not better. You can do some searches for some other dell coupons too to make the price even less.

TStoneMBD
01-12-2005, 05:54 AM
get an inspiron 8600 or a vaio. this notebook wont be able to 4table without overlap. you need 1600x1200 screen resolution.