PDA

View Full Version : Pop the flop or "protect" and pop the turn?

lowroller
01-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Both villians are way loose (over 40% VPIP). I have been getting killed with AA over the last couple days, so I have been thinking about how to play them (rather than my usual ram and jam style).

UTG+1 seems to have a hand, but I know I've already got him beat. My concern here is MP2. The flop comes down fairly coordinated and he has demonstrated the willingness to keep calling with any piece of the board.

Lately I have been flashing back to SSH and "When a raise will not protect your hand". With the coordinated nature of this board, I can already see what's coming (because its been happening all week...the inside straight draw). Is this a board that you just call the flop and raise the turn to protect against these draws, or just go ahead and raise the flop and hope for the best? Also, does anyone think that having "only" 2 opponents makes for less need to "protect" a hand like this? In other words, its not like my hand is up against the entire field, or even half, for that matter...

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Pop the flop. Its unlikely he has a str8 or flush draw.

lowroller
01-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Sorry, I didn't mention the flush draw. Based on the PF cap, I don't think anyone is going anywhere who comes up with a flush draw. My worry/thinking in this hand was the straight draw.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-11-2005, 10:47 PM
I still think betting the flop is the best line here. Ill let some real limit players chime in tho lol.

lowroller
01-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Oh, I'll DEFINATELY bet it!!

But, I figured UTG+1 is going to be it since he capped, so my decision was whether to raise of just call the flop.

He doesn't bet...I bet...everytime.

Munga30
01-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Not with your position relative to UTG+1. If he bets, you raise and put pressure on MP2. If he's really that loose on the flop, he's making mistakes calling as often as you say he is.

If the lead bet was from your left, you may choose to wait for the turn because you can't confront either opponent with two bets at once.

lowroller
01-11-2005, 11:27 PM
My natural instincts took over and I raised the flop. Does anyone see my angle in my top post? Anyone play this differently?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, UTG+1 calls.

JinX11
01-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Looks good. UTG+1 capping (EDIT: preflop) makes a straight draw unlikely. A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif is about the only likely scary hand for this flop for you (EDIT: given his preflop play). His call of your flop raise confirms he's about to be pwned.

Drag the pot. Turn an ace for good measure, why dont ya....